Trusted Contributor

Popular flea collar linked to almost 1,700 pet deaths. The EPA has issued no warning.

Five years ago, a co-worker and I discussed why both her elderly cat and dog became sick and had to be put down within a week of each other.

I told her that I had always had misgivings about flea collars and medications.  Didn't make sense to me that anything strong enough to kill fleas and ticks could be good for pets being exposed 24/7 to that same poison.  With tears in her eyes she told me that she had just put new flea collars on the two of them. 

From USA Today:

"Rhonda Bomwell had never used a flea and tick collar before. Pierre, her 9-year-old Papillon service dog, was mostly an indoor animal.

Still, her veterinarian recommended she purchase one, so Bomwell went to the pet store near her home in Somerset, New Jersey, and selected Bayer’s Seresto collar. 

A day later, on June 2, 2020, Pierre had a seizure, collapsing while Bomwell was making dinner. Lying on his back, the dog stopped breathing and his eyes rolled back."

Remainder of article can be found here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/popular-flea-collar-linked-to-almost-1700-pet-deaths-the-epa-has-i...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Popular flea collar linked to almost 1,700 pet deaths. The EPA has issued no warning.

This is why I have never used a flea collar on my small dog. I don't even like for him to get a rabies shot every other year now that he is 12.

For flea & tick control I apply food grade Diatomacious Earth.  Available on AMZ.

No chemicals, easy application.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Popular flea collar linked to almost 1,700 pet deaths. The EPA has issued no warning.

@queendiva wrote:

This is why I have never used a flea collar on my small dog. I don't even like for him to get a rabies shot every other year now that he is 12.

For flea & tick control I apply food grade Diatomacious Earth.  Available on AMZ.

No chemicals, easy application.

That's what I used last on my 18 year old cat and 12 year old dog.  Three years ago!  They are indoors and have not had a problem since, knock on wood.

Honored Contributor

Oh no ,i have used this.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

@GrailSeeker @Thank you for posting this. I just took that collar off of both of my dogs.

Respected Contributor

Bayer makes another product that is banned in Europe but  not here that is linked to killing bees.  IT's widely sold as a garden product.  SHAMEFUL.

Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Oh no ,i have used this.

The last time I used one, maybe 30 years ago, I recall the instant headache I got upon cutting open the foil-lined inner package.  I wondered if it gave my dog a headache, too. 

It was truly heartbreaking when my co-worker told me about her dog being restless the night before he died.  He kept getting up on her bed, then down, then up.

Oh, people!

Trusted Contributor

@Rose429 wrote:

@GrailSeeker @Thank you for posting this. I just took that collar off of both of my dogs.

Thank you,@Rose429

Respected Contributor

@GrailSeeker Just wanted to thank you for sharing this. I sent it to my daughter, in case they use one of these collars.  

Trusted Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

Bayer makes another product that is banned in Europe but  not here that is linked to killing bees.  IT's widely sold as a garden product.  SHAMEFUL.

Is it Monsanto stuff?  Bayer is merged with Monsanto now.

Now I will be honest here.  Diatomaceous earth can also kill bees.  It is a crystal that scratches the exoskeleton of insects.  So don't use it to treat your yard.  Still, when I dust my pets, I am not spraying poison over hundreds of acres of farm ground.