Occasional Contributor

Re: Poor Kingston And His Vet Visit Today

Oh my goodness this poor dog, I am imagining that it was male humans that did these atrocities to him. . Maybe getting a female vet might be a good option, worth a try. Obviously this animal has been so traumatized in his life.  I wish you luck

Esteemed Contributor

Surprised your Vet hasn't encountered this before and addressed the issue.  There's a (pill) medication for prior to taking your dog in the car on a trip.  Or perhaps an over the counter (Buffrin okay for dogs - no for cats).  Is this a young Vet?

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

I think that every fearful animal ends up on my doorstep. I had a pyscho horse that would stalk and chase the vet. He sat on the vet. He had had a rough time. It took time but he turned into an awesome horse that I could put a child on and tell him where to go and he would calmly walk in that direction. He did get to the point he would allow the vet to give him shots.

I had a crazy chicken that would attack. I have had several dogs that had the fear response. It sounds like poor Kingston has it bad to lash at the DH.

One of my current rescue dogs was caught and taken to a vet to check. She went nuts and the vet said no to providing a service. Off to another vet. This vet had experience with fearful animals. She told the people that rescued her that she would treat the dog but they would have to leave her there for 3 days. They did.

At first only the vets would feed her and take her out. She came out of the crate like a lion. They took turns taking her around the clinic tied to them and they fed her treats. She calmed down when she got used to them and saw they were not going to hurt her. They did use a muzzle to do things to her that she did not like.

The rescue came back for her and were surprised at the difference and the vet told them what to do at home.

I ended up with the little darling. The vet called and wanted me to bring her by three days a week and let her stay with them for a few hours. We did  that.

I wish you could see her now. She is excited to go there. She still gets nervous if she feels cornered by dogs. She does not like to had her glands expressed. She is a different dog.

I think they gave my dog a mild sedative or benedryl to take the edge off her.

Do you think it was the smell of the vet or  a stranger in the yard?

Does he do well when you take him out around other people?

Lord knows I have had to give shots to the above horse as well as some dogs.

I wonder if there is any way that you have a vet that will let you take him to the office daily for 5 minutes to get a cookie and leave. You could build up the time. It is good for them to go to the vet and not have anything done to them. You could take him in and sit inthe waiting room for a few minutes and pet him. Then leave.

My biggest concern is what if something happens where he needs to be seen by a vet.

doxie

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom I just bawl when I hear horror stories like this.

I'd like to catch the horrible creatures who did this and do the same to them and let them suffer.

The things that drive me to feel this way are cruelty to helpless animals and helpless children.

I am so sorry for your sweet boy. Could be he is having flash backs to the cruel treatment of the past. Animals don't forget and he may have, don't laugh, a dog version of PTSD.

I will pray for all of you, my heart just breaks for this poor dog and God bless your family for giving him a loving home.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom ~

So sorry to read about  KINGSTON, You and Dad, and the Vet.  

Hopefully you can give the vaccinations tomorrow, and get it done without the Vet.  It sounds like KINGSTON was terrified.  And I do believe that perhaps just the "scent" of the Vet sent him 
into that "I am terrified mode?"  Remembering those "scents" of where he was when he was being nursed back to health?  

Breaks my Heart to hear stories of abuse like this.  What a Caring person you are to bring KINGSTON into your life, and show him so much LOVE.  Heart

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Esteemed Contributor

We have one like that.

I've been watching Cesar Millan.  We are having a conversacion with the dog . . .

Poor buddy of ours was suffering allergic itching.  I took him to the vet, just last week, knowing I had to and knowing I had to do everything in my power to facilitate success.  I remembered the teaching:  the dog is insecure and that is reinforced if we let our level of fear/insecurity be known.  Calm.  Breathe deep.  Calm.  Assert your place as the leader of the pack, as their first response is to keep the pack safe and together.  If it is clear that won't be necessary (things are safe), they are more likely to be calm.  I kept reaching out to him with a firm hand and a calm command, "calm".

Now, this dog has bitten me before, and has been through two other clinics.  Been prescribed sedatives to take before coming in (No thank you).

It worked.  Calm, buddy.  Calm.  No reinforcement for excited behavior.  I did draw the line at the rectal thermometer but managed to maintain my role as leader, and he got his other vitals checked.  I suddenly saw it, too - poor guy looked everywhere for a place to escape.  He was scared.  I didn't try to push him; I asked his permission for things, like lying on his back so we could examine the skin there, but I stayed calm and let him know everything was OK and that excitement was not necessary.  I've found, they don't really want to act like that.  He takes cues and reinforcement from me.  It has been eye-opening, to think about simply setting the tone and allowing them to follow (but remaining as the leader).  He's become much more relaxed.

It did help that the vet is about 6'6" and built like a linebacker.  He's very nice, though he's got hands like baseball gloves, and at one point my dog did get a little agitated but he quickly realized he was no match for this guy.  The vet assistant took her time, too, and that helped immensely.  She wasn't fearful and worked well one-on-one with the dog, along with treats.

My dog is especially fearful if anyone tries to restrain him forcibly.  Man, there's so much going on in these situations and frankly, all the humans present are at risk.  That's the hard part - how do we stay calm, how do they know to trust - this last encounter I had at the vet was just the right magic.  Me and the vet and the assistant just saw what needed to happen, and I resisted the urge to pander to my buddy.  Calm.  Excitement is not rewarded but we are the boss.  In a kind way, in the way that knows what is best for our buddy.

It sounds like you are prudent and waiting appropriately.  I don't know how long you've had Kingston but we've had ours just shy of three years, and he's 5.  He was in a shelter about to be euthanized after 6 months, rescued by a friend who runs a rescue, and we needed a dog.  She always adopts the tough ones to us!  This is the fourth one we've taken in through her. 

Thankfully I think we can establish a relationship with this clinic and this vet (he's not blackballed, no special warning notes on his chart!), and, thankfully there are episodes of The Dog Whisperer to be viewed on TV.  I like Dog Impossible, too.  Just good insight into the canine psyche.

Good luck to you, your husband, and Kingston.  I know you've said he's a real sweetie!  Ours will need a shot next year, and right now, forget about clipping nails!  Slowly we move forward.  As Cesar says, Stay calm and carry on.

Long and short of it:  it's complicated, isn't it?

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Poor lil'guy.  he's ben through so much.  Those burn treatments may have left a lasting impression on him.  If he snapped at dad he really was afraid.  He may need something to take the edge off if he needs to go the the Vets.  Hope all goes well giving those shots at home.  Can he be distracted with treats?  Maybe do a few trial runs without the syringes. Scratch the area and  pull up the skin and poke it with your finger like the needle will be going in.  So he won't be suprised when you do it for real.  Hope he's a happy lil' guy tonight.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I'd like to catch the horrible creatures who did this and DO THE SAME THING TO THEM UNTIL THEY ARE DEAD.

This was a disturbing statement.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

I hope you know I am a big dog lover, and a rescuer.  Poor big boy had such a SAD start, amazing he has been able to heal so well - thanks to you and his Dad.  So, I don’t mean any harm with this, but as I read it, when his fear reared up before, causing him to snap, the situation changed, is this correct?  He went into the RV, then, he didn’t have to go in... see what I mean?  He is a smart boy, not a bad boy at all, but snapping has changed the circumstances for him in the past, totally out his fear, but still I think he just can’t help it.  

I would ask your vet vet for a sedative for him, and make sure it is accurate for his weight.  Ask how long in advance to give it to him. I’d mush it into a ball of nice smelly cheese, give it to him, put the muzzle on, and wear bite gloves.  I know this sounds a bit drastic to some, but another round of this fear, and he might escalate more. Usually the one for using the least restraining method, in this case I would rather go full out, let the sweet fellow get his shots, without a struggle, and count it as a win for everyone.

You and his Dad are real hero’s, and have been angels for Kingston.  Thank you!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I'd like to catch the horrible creatures who did this and DO THE SAME THING TO THEM UNTIL THEY ARE DEAD.

This was a disturbing statement.

TOTALLY DISAGREE, @alicedee !  The evil should be destroyed.  Abusers are evil. Let them reap what they sow!