Honored Contributor

I'm having my entire house painted this week including the ceiling.  There were three painters here yesterday and four today.  I should have put Henry, my cat, in "his" room which is actually my office yesterday and put his litter box in there, but I didn't.  His food is in there, and the room has a baby gate that he can get through but Frankie, my dog, can't.

He hid under my bed all day yesterday.  I thought he would at least come out and go to the litter box when they went to lunch, but he wouldn't leave my room.  He came out but wouldn't go past the drop cloths  going down the hall and in front of my bedroom door.  I finally pulled the hall drop cloths up, but he could see everything in the living room and wouldn't come out.  He didn't use his litter box until they left at 5:00. 

They told me they thought they would get to his room today, so I didn't put him in there today either.  They covered all the furniture in my bedroom today and covered the floor with drop cloths.  Henry was under the bed.  When they left for lunch one of the painters asked me if I wanted him to get Henry out from under the bed and put him in his room.  The painter put Henry's litter box in his room and handed Henry to me.  I couldn't get him from under the bed.  Even in his room he hid in the bookcase.  That's where he was when the painters left and I went in his room.

They aren't sure if they'll get to his room tomorrow, but they probably won't.  I'm going to put his litter box in there and put him in there right before they get here.  They're here from 8 to 5 and seem to take 45 min. for lunch.  They're working hard, but I'll bet they'll be here all week.  I'm exhausted from getting everything ready for them.  When they left I had to take all the stuff off of the floor in the back bedroom and put it in the living room.  They have finished the living room but need to get to the back bedroom tomorrow.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Aw, poor Henry. Hope the work gets done asap for all your sakes. Heart

Valued Contributor

If it would help poor Henry, perhaps the workers could hold him or pet him for a minute to reassure him they are humans and not space invaders. 

I also hope you can call someone to come and help you this week.  Lots of work, but it will be a wonderful outcome.

Best Wishes.

Honored Contributor

Poor Henry and poor NickNack; you're both having a bad week but how pretty the house will be when it's finished.  Henry has led a quiet, peaceful life without strangers, strange tools and tarps and smells.  You'll all be ready for vacation when the week is over.  Grin and bear it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

POOR HENRY!  That boy's gonna need a very special toy, a very special meal and. of course, some special tlc once the "intruders" have disbanded!Cat Very Happy

Valued Contributor

Poor Henry is confused with all the commotion going on in his home. I always wished my pets would understand me so I can reassure them it’s going to be ok in times just like this. He will go back to normal after the pesky painters leave and he will love “his” newly painted room. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

@Lapdog wrote:

If it would help poor Henry, perhaps the workers could hold him or pet him for a minute to reassure him they are humans and not space invaders. 

I also hope you can call someone to come and help you this week.  Lots of work, but it will be a wonderful outcome.

Best Wishes.

@Lapdog  Henry is not a very sociable cat.  When he sees that someone has pulled in the driveway he runs and hides under the bed.  I was surprised he would let the painter pull him out today.  The painter likes cats and said he would be able to do it, and he was.

Henry is very sweet to me and Frankie, my dog.  He's fine with other people when he gets to know them, but he's still not real friendly.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I started to board Henry this week so he wouldn't have to endure all of this.  I knew he'd hate it but thought he would hate being boarded, too.  I was afraid he might not eat if I boarded him.  At least this way he gets to come out when they leave.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack OMG!  You scared me....when I saw "Poor Henry" my heart shook!

I've grown very found of reading about your sweet Henry (love his name).

I don't know if you've read about my girl cat (Katie) but she's afraid of everything (even me).  I can't even catch her.  My family has never seen her (only pictures).  She will come and lay next to me when I lay in my bed but if I even twitch, she runs away.

I adopted her when I adopted Bill (the wonder cat).  He's the total opposite.  Everyone loves Bill, even people who normally hate cats.  They'll say, "Where's Bill?  I want to tell him hello!"  Ha!

Katie would have a heart attack if men were to come here and do something to the house.  I'm going to get some work done soon.  I guess I won't be able to find Katie for days after that.

When I have company she runs away and it takes until long after the company's gone before she comes out to eat.  

I got her when she was young so I don't know when she was abused.  It makes me sad to think about it.

Thanks for the update on Henry.  I love, love hearing about him.  Fondly, Annabellethecat.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I'm sorry I scared you.  Yes, I've read all about Katie and Bill.  I enjoy hearing about them.  I'm glad Katie at least comes around you when you're in bed.

-Henry David Thoreau