Respected Contributor

Please, help me with ideas, thank you

I apoligize as I have not been on in a few years.  My vision is very bad and I have many health problems.

I witnessed a horrible animal/dog abuse inside a national store and confronted the man that did it.  Others saw but did not join me.  CS would do nothing!  I had no phone for a picture and DH was out in our car.with our dog Scooter.  When I told Dennis he looked through the lot for the man and his dog but they were gone.

Animal control was closed (it was 4:40) but would not even talk about doing anything saying dogs are "property "and owners can do anything they want! 3 managers at the store had no suggestions.  Corporate would do nothing.  Finally the chief of police sent 2 officers to view the camera tapes but could not identify the person or get a plate if he had a vehicle.  Peta spoke to the chief and offered to pay for the vet bill if PD could find out who the offender was.

I also called every neighboring shelter and asked if they had  adopted a dog that fit the discription but no luck.  I also called news channels but because I was a witness and could not make a police report they would not do a story.  The store had to do a report and they say there was no video of what happened.

Please don't quiz me for details. I will not write them as that will not help the situation.  I am asking for sugestions incase I have missed something.  Thank you in advance!  Dennis & I have rescued animals in 7 states over the last 40 years but I have never witnessed abuse and I can't sleep and am still crying about what I saw.

We just moved and I am in the process of getting a new doctor as we now live 1 hour away from where this happened.  Both Dennis and I are seniors and are disabled.

Thank you,

Cathy

ps Am I allowed to say the city where this happened or say the store?  QVC's rules may have changed sense I was a regular on here.

Honored Contributor

Re: Please, help me with ideas, thank you

[ Edited ]

Too bad someone didn't get his license number or support you. 

Police saw something on the store tapes, but the store says there's nothing on the tapes.  ?????????????  What's up with that?

"Animal control was closed (it was 4:40) but would not even talk about doing anything saying dogs are "property "and owners can do anything they want!"

Depending on the state, animal control is wrong.  It appears police were willing to do something, but needed evidence and means to identify the person  abusing the dog.   

You could post flyers somewhere and messages on other social media websites, asking for help from those who witnessed the abuse.  Maybe, they have information that might be helpful to identify the abuser.  Do you have anyone who could do that for you?

I see no reason why it would be a problem posting the retailer and its location here.  

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom    It seems as though you've gone to great lengths to try to right the wrong you witnessed.  Without identifying information or supporting witnesses, there isn't much more you can do. 

I'm so sorry you had to see this happen but at some point you must accept that there are things you cannot change and divert your attention to something more positive.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Jackhound Mom Thank you so much for caring about this dog and thank you for wanting to go the extra mile to help.  I don't know that I have the answer for you, but I do have some random thoughts/ideas:  Do you know if the clerk(s) at the store where you were had ever seen this person before?  I wonder if he and the dog (or him alone) go to the store often and can be found or identified that way.  Could you maybe post on next door or something like that describing the place, person, and dog and see if anyone knows recognizes something about that? Or can help you find who that is.  Maybe someone will see the post and they were at the store and saw what you did and can add to your description of this person and the poor dog.  I can't believe the store didn't have it's own in store surveliance cameras.  Did they really say they didn't have anything?  The police only scanned the outside cameras?  Peta (the peta?) said they would help with vet bills is the dog is found?  (so nice).  Did they have any ideas as to how to find the dog?  That was very brave of you to confront the man - very admireable.  Too bad the others there weren't the same.  What did the man say to you when you confronted him?

Respected Contributor

Thank you!  I will have Dennis post locally on social media.  This is AZ.  I spoke to animal control the next day and got thzt awful answer.  The chief of police said they were wrong and he is over that office.  I don't know how he handled that.

Respected Contributor

Thank you!  I remember you fondly!  If we get any answers I will surely write about it!

Respected Contributor

There wern't any clerks around where this happened in the store but there were other shoppers.  They must have seen what he did and heard me.

I screamed "You are abusing that dog!  You don't deserve a dog!  He growled at me "he's a bad boy" and I screamed "you are a bad man an a$$----.  My mistake was going to the front of the store and asking for help.  The "greeter"  said "what do you want me to do about it?  Go to customer service" which I did.  I begged the 3 woman there to call a manager, but they didn't.  Finally a cashier walked  me to the floor manager and she said she would look over the camera tapes and "if" she saw what happened she would report it to the police. I was told by one of the other managers I spoke with that everyone is filmed coming in and going out.  My point was that they would certianly see him coming in with a dog and going out with the dog in the cart.  PD chief said that he must have come in with a group and they couldn't see him.  He looked homeless and there is a big population of homeless there.  We also checked if there is a shelter and there is not.

Please keep a good thought and if possible we will continue to try to find him and the dog if it is still alove.  Ihave everyone I know there to keep an eye out for him and this very distinct dog.  I will write if/when we have answers.

Respected Contributor

Omg, I am so sorry for what you witnessed!!  I can totally relate to how it has affected you.  I would be the same way.

It seems like every state is different in how these things are handled.  In my small town, our animal control offficer specifially states that they will respond to all reports of abuse or suspected abuse.  I think for the most part, our law enforcement here does a good job with this.  Even so, I know there are many cases that are never addressed and never known about.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can do much more.  You don't have any i.d. for the guy, and it doesn't seem like the store is willing to help.  

I think you did the best you could.  Sometimes we have to leave things to God, after we've done all we can do.  

I'm sure there will be more opportunities for you to aid another animal in need in the future, and you can do it knowing that you are doing your best.  That's how I've approached these things, anyway..

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero