Honored Contributor

Re: Please help! We inherited a cocker spaniel

Good luck and give your new baby a hug for us!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Once you are sure the teeth and baths are under control, I vote ears.  Those long floppy ears take some care.  At least weekly.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The "frito feet" and ear odor is too much YEAST.   

I feed my two cocker spaniels' food with NO GRAIN.   To help, an expensive shampoo (ANTI-FUNGAL type) can be purchased on Walmart.com (or from the vet).   This issue will go away ... I can assure you!  

WendiC is correct in what she said on a previous post about yeast. @Sawn 

Valued Contributor

Thanks to you all for so many great suggestions, this girl is the sweetest dog! We already have a ten-year-old lab/border collie mix whom we love to pieces and have had since she was five weeks old. We always tell her that we love our grands but she's our baby, lol!

Trusted Contributor

We had one who smelled like salami. It came from his fur. He even lost some fur. He was diagnosed with kidney problems. We put him on a special diet for his kidneys. His fur came back. He also had seizures later on but lived to be 15. 

Valued Contributor

We did the grain-free stuff for a while. Didn't really make much difference. My vet said that some dogs just have an issue with yeast overgrowth. They can even get it on their paws from outside. The anti-fungal shampoo worked for a day or so, but the fritto smell came back. This neutralize shampoo seems to work much better for us. We have almost 'embraced' our little fritto smelly girl!! :-)