Occasional Contributor

Re: Please help! Neighbor and rat problem

@kitcat51 wrote:

Oh, can I re!ate. I live in a country sub on 1 1/2 acres, my next door neighbor dumps 2 huge buckets of food everyday in the woods separating our homes...it attracts rats, mice, skunks, possums, raccoons, chipmunks, squirrels, coyotes, fox, deer, crows & more. It's miserable & I've asked them to stop along with the neighbors but they "love all the animals" & think we're being hateful. Sadly what they're doing is harming them because the neighbors are poisoning, trapping & shooting them. Everyday my lawn, driveway & roof are littered with bread, popcorn, corncobs, nuts, cheese puffs & whatever junk food that's sold in big bags for $1.00. I have rat-mice traps in the garage & attic, small & large traps set outside, I don't feed the birds anymore, keep all outside doors closed & I installed motion lights. All of this didn't stop raccoons from ripping off shingles & damaging metal roof vents trying to get in the attic so had to put on a new roof with a ridge vent. What I've described is just a small part of what's happened over 12 yrs since they moved in & the efforts to get an animal feeding ordinance passed in our township hasn't been successful. I would follow the advice the exterminator gave you & make sure your neighbors are aware of the problem, it's impossible to get rid of rats if an easy food source  & nesting sites are available. Wish I had more helpful advice to share...Good Luck!

Thank you! I'm so stressed. I contacted the "contrac" manufacturer and they said that the chances of secondary poisoning are minimal unless a cat was eating those rats and a lot of mice daily. I'm going to follow his advice.  The business would close if they did something irresponsible. Maybe he could put some of that bait in a station way in the back of the property. the neighbor is also difficult. I contacted the health department and they are supposed to check the property and then follow the procedure. Hopefully they get her to clean once and for all.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilith1 wrote:

Hi, a neighbor had chickens in a coop where she would leave a lot of cracked corn without cleaning the area. She sttracted a lot of rats and now she took the chickens but the rats are spreading. A professional exterminator recommends that we use the bait "contrac" but I'm nervous because we have chickens and cats. The bait would be in professional boxes. Does anyone have any advice?

@Lilith1 ..... you stated that you also have chickens ...you are just a guilty as your neighbor ... GET RID OF YOUR CHICKENS & maybe the rats will go away  .... what a horrible way to live🤮

Occasional Contributor

January121 we’ve had chickens for years and there has never been a problem. I am not guilty of anything. I wouldn’t want to be like you. You don’t know someone and act like this ?
Honored Contributor

@January121 chickens and rats do not have to go hand in hand.  

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Oh, can I re!ate. I live in a country sub on 1 1/2 acres, my next door neighbor dumps 2 huge buckets of food everyday in the woods separating our homes...it attracts rats, mice, skunks, possums, raccoons, chipmunks, squirrels, coyotes, fox, deer, crows & more. It's miserable & I've asked them to stop along with the neighbors but they "love all the animals" & think we're being hateful. Sadly what they're doing is harming them because the neighbors are poisoning, trapping & shooting them. Everyday my lawn, driveway & roof are littered with bread, popcorn, corncobs, nuts, cheese puffs & whatever junk food that's sold in big bags for $1.00. I have rat-mice traps in the garage & attic, small & large traps set outside, I don't feed the birds anymore, keep all outside doors closed & I installed motion lights. All of this didn't stop raccoons from ripping off shingles & damaging metal roof vents trying to get in the attic so had to put on a new roof with a ridge vent. What I've described is just a small part of what's happened over 12 yrs since they moved in & the efforts to get an animal feeding ordinance passed in our township hasn't been successful. I would follow the advice the exterminator gave you & make sure your neighbors are aware of the problem, it's impossible to get rid of rats if an easy food source  & nesting sites are available. Wish I had more helpful advice to share...Good Luck!

@kitcat51, try contacting the fish and game/wildlife agency for your area and explain the situation.  They would be aware of any state or federal ordinances that could apply or at least offer suggestions about how to control the situation.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Lilith1 wrote:
January121 we’ve had chickens for years and there has never been a problem. I am not guilty of anything. I wouldn’t want to be like you. You don’t know someone and act like this ?

@Lilith1 ..... WOW ... calm down already ... by the way I wouldn’t want to be like you either🙃