Contributor

Re: Please brush your longhaired kitties!

[ Edited ]

@denisemb wrote:

@The Odd One

lol!  Sorry for not being clear - I meant a picture of your kitty, not the actual hairball!!

Trust me, I've seen more than my share of hairballs in my life...

LOL~!  I thought you meant the actual furball Smiley Happy

cone333.jpg

Contributor

Hi, Sammycat!  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my, so sorry you and your baby had to endure this costly and painful emergency...it is very scary and frightening when our babies are ill.  I am so glad that your beautiful girl will be OK with time and healing and thank you for letting us know of the extreme danger of what a hairball can cause.  My best wishes to you and your girl during yours and her recovery.  I have a Norwegian Forest Cat (Maxwell Fergus) and he has lots of long hair and heavy down on his belly. I use the Furminator and he loves the grooming, but I will be doing it more frequently now!

Respected Contributor

@The Odd One

Oh, she is lovely - hope she gets her cone off soon!

Denise
Frequent Contributor

@The Odd One Oh my goodness!  Your poor cat.  Smiley Sad  Thank you for the reminder- I have several long haired, older cats (one happens to be a super sassy Maine Coon with looooong hair) and after reading this I made it a point to check and brush one of them.. the others to be brushed this weekend!  

SO SORRY to hear how much this cost you.  I really hope your kitty girl is well soon! 

Esteemed Contributor

Talklng about brushing.  I have two long haired Chihuahuas.  Never have I had so much shedding. I brush and I could build a new dog from the hair I get.  All over the place.  Don't know what to do.

Respected Contributor

@The Odd One

OK, I am so sorry you have had this happen. I am glad your kitty is doing better and your wallet will heal in a lot of time. It is good to see your post. I remember having fun posting with each other in the past.

Here is to speedy healing and  good brushing.

doxie

Respected Contributor

@The Odd One - Such a pretty kitty!

I try to groom my cat every day (sometimes I miss a day or two) with an undercoat comb and a rubber brush (Zoom Groom).  She loves this, but she won't allow me to groom her tummy.  I also give her hairball gel once a week (more often if I think she might have a hairball).  She spit up a couple times, but not a ball of hair.  

Respected Contributor

I have a medium haired cat and try to brush her everyday but will miss a day or two.  Another thing I do is just run my hand over her fur checking for any mats that may be starting.  She's had a few pretty bad mats that took a few days to brush out.  As far as dogs go, my dog sheds like crazy when she is at the vet due to being nervous.  The other day we were there for her annual exam and the vet pulled out a few clumps of her fur and said it was her undercoat.  She recommended a Furrminator and said to go easy as it can hurt them if done too hard. 

Contributor

Well, it was 6 weeks ago today that Maggie had her fur ball removed. She back to normal Smiley Happy.  I use a Furminator on her 1-2 times a week, I comb her with a regular comb daily, and every other day I give her furball gel...and guess what!!!!  She's hacked up 2 fur balls despite all this!

Here's a picture I took of her a couple days ago (minus the cone of shame).

20180929_071642.jpg