Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please Help!

[ Edited ]

@lovesallanimals, I am wishing for a complete recovery for your husband.  COVID sure is a nasty virus, but I can bet he will get back to normal.  I am sending my wishes to you for the care you will be giving your husband.  Please let us know how you are doing.  Best wishes!

Honored Contributor

You have received a lot of good advice.  Makes sense to pick up an inexpensive cane/walker and let your pup get used to it.  I am happy that your husband is coming home and wish for many happy healthy years ahead.

Esteemed Contributor

@LdyBugz wrote:

I agree with what the previous posters have said.  I'm also wondering if having a walker around before your husband gets home might help.  Might get the pup used to it beforehand maybe???

I was going to suggest this.  Get an extra walker of the same kind he will have (hope you can afford). and just have it around for a while so she gets used to it.  I would not try to keep the dog away from your husband unless they don't have a good relationship, or something bad happens.  I think it's best to be calm and normal.  Isolating the dog may make her anxious and aggressive because she is being "punished."

Respected Contributor

Just got home from the rehab center.  He is still in bed, very sleepy, they will start to get him up soon so it will be awhile until he gets home.  Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions.  I love this forum, animal people are the best!

Respected Contributor

@lovesallanimals  Wishing a speedy recovery.  Remember to take care of yourself during this stressful time. 

Esteemed Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

@lovesallanimals  Wishing a speedy recovery.  Remember to take care of yourself during this stressful time. 

@lovesallanimals I second @cindyNC's thoughts!  Prayers for a speedy recovery and please take care.  There may also be home care help available, take advantage of it!  And let close friends and family know about the Covid and need for rehab.  Maybe some folks will bring meals and such.  If that's not available, maybe you can have things delivered to take some workload off you.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please Help!

[ Edited ]

If you ever watch Caesar Milan, he always tells the people to let the dog know you are the pac leader.  If the dog senses fear or anxiety, he or she may not respond. Stay confident and correct the dog when necessary. He always uses a training leash. Reward  them when they do good.

Hoping your husband gets well soon. Medicare does offer meal dekivery when you are discharged from the hospital. They offer in home care for awhile. I don't know your age but I would check into it. Wishing you a healthy and happy New Year.

Respected Contributor

@elated wrote:

If you ever watch Caesar Milan, he always tells the people to let the dog know you are the pac leader.  If the dog senses fear or anxiety, he or she may not respond. Stay confident and correct the dog when necessary. He always uses a training leash. Reward  them when they do good.

Hoping your husband gets well soon. Medicare does offer meal dekivery when you are discharged from the hosoital. They offer in home care for awhile. I don't know your age but I would check into it. Wishing you a healthy and haw New Year.

elated:  Thank you, you gave me some great suggestions.