Honored Contributor

Pit Bull Dies Saving Boys From Coral Snake (Sad)

[ Edited ]

An eight-month-old pit bull has died after he was bitten by a snake four times while he tried to protect his owner's children. 

Zeus the dog stepped in between a coral snake and brothers Oriley and Orion, as they were cleaning a water bowl outside the family home in Sumter County, Florida.

The kids had not seen the venomous reptile slither towards them, but the pit bull did and attacked it on Monday, dad Gary Richardson explained.

The family rushed the puppy to Ocala Veterinary Hospital to be treated with anti-venom but the dog was left in a critical condition and sadly passed the next day.

Richardson described Zeus, who had been with them since January, as 'the most loyal dog I know of' and added that he owed his son's life to him.

The family recalled the incident that happened at around 6.15pm on Monday and would lead to their dog's death.

Richardson told Fox 35 Orlando: 'All of a sudden, he started attacking the snake which was close to my son and shaking it around, he was bit four times.'

Zeus' face suddenly began to swell up and when he lifted his head-up from the ground they could see the lifeless body of a red, yellow and black snake.

'I knew when he first came in that something was wrong and (it) was very traumatic because I knew he was dying,' Richardson added.

Three of the Richardson's four children gather around Zeus the pit bull to say their goodbyes

Zeus was a part of the Richardson family since January

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Pit Bull Dies Saving Boys From Coral Snake (Sad)

RIP Zeus, you brave, loyal boy.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is too sad....sentient beings our precious animals.  That little courageous puppy saved his buddy's life and in the process lost his.  Tears.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read that in a newspaper.  How very sad and how sad for both the dog and the young child.  This will haunt him for the rest of his life.  I am happy the dog was so loyal to the child and that it took good care of the child but it is sad that either had to be bitten and even sadder that either had to die.  Evil snakes.

Honored Contributor

loving, loyal and courageous.

I read this yesterday and felt my 3 loving granddogs were embracing Zeus at the rainbow bridge.

Mine, all 3 pits, everyone said were the most loveable remarkable dogs they had ever had or met.

Once you have been owned and loved by one, you will never misunderstand again.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Rest in peace, Zeus.  What a hero you are.  The definition of loyal love.  

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

loving, loyal and courageous.

I read this yesterday and felt my 3 loving granddogs were embracing Zeus at the rainbow bridge.

Mine, all 3 pits, everyone said were the most loveable remarkable dogs they had ever had or met.

Once you have been owned and loved by one, you will never misunderstand again.

@on the bay 

As a pit Mom, Kingston (my avatar) and I agree with you wholeheartedly!

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom -

I always love looking at Kingston's picture.He is such a handsome boy! heart: It's comforting because his face reminds me of ours'Smiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Truly an angel in disquise.  They are so loyal to those they love.    

Respected Contributor

Glad the boys are safe, but heartbroken for the family losing their brave, loyal pup. 

We live in Ocala and DH once encountered a coral snake outside our garage door.  At first he thought it was the neighbor girls'  jump rope or something.  Even though there was room for it to escape, my husband said it was almost beligerent in facing up to DH (who was fortunately holding a shovel).   Bye, Mr. Snake...

Denise