Trusted Contributor

I use a piece of sliced American cheese and squish it around the pill after I've given him 2 pieces of the cheese without the pill. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NickNack    How is Frankie doing?  Still keeping you up all night and in pain?

How is your sister?

@Kachina624   Frankie isn't dong well at all.  She woke me up at 2:00 a.m. with a loud deafening wail.  I'm going to post an update on her.  I'm so worried about her.  I just sent an email to my Vet and will call when they open at 7:30 a.m.  Frankie got me up at 6:00 to go outside.  Thanks for checking on her

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@Snoopp  I've used Pill Pockets, also. I break one in half and let him eat it plain, no pill inside, then I put the pill (it was very small) in the other half. While he's eating the pill half, I stand there with another treat at the ready so he's looking at, and thinking about, the next treat and not paying attention to the one he's eating containing the pill.

Diversion with food in his line of sight is the only successful way I've found to get pills in him. HTH 🐶 🐾 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

My go to's are: peanut butter, cream cheese, Velveeta. A bit of hot dog or liverwurst works. My dil uses a piece of lunchmeat wrapped around the pill. Hope one of these works for you.

Trusted Contributor

My trick is to have two treats of any kind. Cheese or meat or PB. Whatever your pet likes. I wrap the pill into the first treat and hold both treats at same time. He's so busy grabbing the first one with the pill so he can get the second one that he never notices the pill 😂. He pretty much swallows things whole. And he's a17 lb Bichon. LOL 

KJPA
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone.  Great ideas.  Today I had two treats ready and stuffed the second at his mouth quickly after the first pill.  Success!

He is outsmarting me daily, I found one heart med on the floor from yesterday.  

I’m waiting for the pill pockets (please come soon) and will try to get liverwurst.  This little devil dog is starting to need a whole hot dog just for two pills and I’m running out of hot dogs.  

He’s on a ton of meds right now and some pills are enormous.