Esteemed Contributor

I need suggestions for getting a dog to take 💊.  He takes a lot and has gotten wise to me hiding them in food.  

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp   I use Pill Pockets.  I think they're great.  I used to use peanut butter, cheese and even honey butter.  Pill Pockets always work.  Frankie is taking an antibiotic and a pain pill right now.  I put both of them in one capsule sized Pill Pocket, and she takes it easily.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

How about peanut or almond butter?  The pill pockets did not work for my Akita angel, but he would take them with that.  The vet and animal derm vet said it was okay.  If I wrapped them in turkey or chicken he would many times  spit out the pill .  Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

Isn't it amazing how they figure out what we're trying to do! My kitty is starting to do the same thing. One thing that's working (at least for now) is to hollow out a hole in a treat (with a kebob skewer) and stuff the pill inside. But, it's only 1/2 of a pill so it's not very big. My vet suggested to make a "meatball" with some cat food and put the pill inside. I'm not big on rolling pate cat food into a meatball at this point! I wish you luck and hopefully you'll get some good suggestions from moms of doggie fur babies!

Respected Contributor

liverwurst is my no fail go to

Trusted Contributor

@Snoopp  I also use Pill Pockets. I put a little bit of peanut butter on each end. My dog, Zeke, wolf's them down. But they have to have the peanut butter on them. If not, he spits them out.

Honored Contributor

Normally peanut butter worked, but one big pill was rejected and nothing worked.  My dog wouldn't eat a pill pocket without a pill!

Finally, I tried  a small chunk of cheese...first with no pill.  Then a piece with a pill inside.

I have found that dogs can smell pills.  If that smell is on your hands, they know what's coming.

Insert the pill in the cheese quickly and as clean as possible.  Wash your hands.  Feed a piece of cheese, then feed 2nd piece with pill.  You can use pieces of meat too.  

Respected Contributor

My Dog will eat it when I ball it up in a little bit of Velveeta cheese.  Can't be a knock off brand, she won't go for that.  Sometimes a vienna sausage works.  She takes 3 heart pills a day and this has worked for over a year.  She has gotten used to the schedule and expects it every night.  

Honored Contributor

@NickNack    How is Frankie doing?  Still keeping you up all night and in pain?

How is your sister?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Ive used cross-sections of hot dogs with a slit for the pill when out of pill pockets.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment