Respected Contributor

My kitty Percy has a seizure disorder.  He is a big, part Maine Coon, 2 year old cat.

He has been on Phenobarbital twice daily.  He gets a cream in his ears to avoid trying to pill him.  It is more expensive, but I am not sure we could manage him twice a day.

He has been getting more ornery.  He will hiss and growl at the other cats and even we humans at times.

We will ask for a phenobarbital level when we take him to the vet.  It is rather expensive.  Wondering if anyone has experience with this as a side effect in your pet.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Re: Phenobarbital side effect?

@hyacinth003 wrote:

My kitty Percy has a seizure disorder.  He is a big, part Maine Coon, 2 year old cat.

He has been on Phenobarbital twice daily.  He gets a cream in his ears to avoid trying to pill him.  It is more expensive, but I am not sure we could manage him twice a day.

He has been getting more ornery.  He will hiss and growl at the other cats and even we humans at times.

We will ask for a phenobarbital level when we take him to the vet.  It is rather expensive.  Wondering if anyone has experience with this as a side effect in your pet.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003  That is often an aura which precipitates the seizure:  the anger and aggressive behavior.  You might need to go to a pill or increase the amount you are using.  I think I would go to the pills.  I had a cat with same/similiar situation and we had to use the pills.  The anger is the fear when they feel a seizure coming on and although yours may be controlled from seizure activity, it is not well controlled (my guess) the reason you are having the aggressive behavior.  Talk to your vet but I believe I am right about this one.

Honored Contributor

I think you should talk to Percy's vet about this.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

I had an epileptic dog who took phenobarb daily along with Potassium bromide from a compounding pharmacy.

He never had any nasty behaviour but he did succumb to liver disease which is a known side effect. 

Please see your vet.  Can you give your kitty pill pockets ? I think they may help witht he.       anxiety that surrounds giving pets meds.

Definetly see your vet.  They are your best source of information. 

Best of luck and prayers for your kitty! 

Esteemed Contributor

My moms African Gray bird is on Phenobarbital of sezures.  The level in the blood needs to be monitored to maintain its effectivness.  Would definitly have th blood work done and speak to the vet about the behavior changes, something else can be going on.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

I had a dog on phenobarbital with no ill side effects.  I hope your vet discovers the cause of this problem.  Good luck to you.  

Esteemed Contributor

My cat has been on pheno since 2015 with one dosage adjustment needed.  Her pheno is compounded into a flavored liquid and administered by syringe.

(biting my tongue) She has not had a seizure since August, 2015.  There have been no adverse reactions to the pheno and her blood work and pheno levels are good.

I am very careful about keeping her from getting over stimulated.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.