Esteemed Contributor

Petunia is still clawing & biting............

We have been doing the firm NO, putting her on the floor and ignoring her when she gets riled up and bites.  So far it hasn't worked.  She goes from 0 to 60 in a split second.  Sweet and cuddly to Hanibal Lector.

We don't want to use a water bottle. It seems mean to me, plus I think she would think it's a game.

She has a vet appt. Thursday for her next shot  maybe they can give us an idea.  She is getting so big.  Her Dad is a very big boy and we are hoping she doesn't get that big.

At least she and my old cat aren't fighting. The head slaps seem to have stopped although Little P likes to poke the bear and swat at the poor old cat's tail. Instead of bopping her just just hisses now and runs away.

We are talking about getting one of those tall cat tree things for them.  Keep them entertained with something new for awhile.  I will say she is good about using the scratching post and not my furniture.

Valued Contributor

Re: Petunia is still clawing & biting............

She might be one of those kitties who is easily over stimulated by petting and/or petting in certain areas.  Start watching for clues:  the flick of her tail, changes in her eyes, direction of ears.  These will tell you when she's at her limit and you need to stop with the pets and cuddles.

I have one kitty right now who will let me massage her from nose to tail 24/7 but not all are like her.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

We have been doing the firm NO, putting her on the floor and ignoring her when she gets riled up and bites.  So far it hasn't worked.  She goes from 0 to 60 in a split second.  Sweet and cuddly to Hanibal Lector.

We don't want to use a water bottle. It seems mean to me, plus I think she would think it's a game.

She has a vet appt. Thursday for her next shot  maybe they can give us an idea.  She is getting so big.  Her Dad is a very big boy and we are hoping she doesn't get that big.

At least she and my old cat aren't fighting. The head slaps seem to have stopped although Little P likes to poke the bear and swat at the poor old cat's tail. Instead of bopping her just just hisses now and runs away.

We are talking about getting one of those tall cat tree things for them.  Keep them entertained with something new for awhile.  I will say she is good about using the scratching post and not my furniture.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I had a cat growing up (long story) that came from a cat family with a long history of evil temper.  It was the smartest cat we ever had, but not a cuddly type.

It chased and terrorized the neighbors dogs--big dogs.  It would sit in your lap and you could pet it a little, but not much.  You had to be aware and not overstep.  It would give you a little bite if you petted too much.

We had to tell new guests to not pet the cat. A few learned to heed the warning the hard way.   People who came with visitors would warn them "DON'T bother that cat.  They mean that."

So maybe your cat has a personality that is prickly like some people.  I will say we loved that cat and it was a joy to the whole family--and it loved us.  But you had to respect it for how it was.

Good luck!  

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I've had a lot of cats, and they are so much like people......all with unique personalities.

My former cat, Zoe, was like that too.  A couple pats, and she'd had enough.  She did mellow in middle age, and actually became quite the lap cat.  My current cat, Al, is a mama's boy (I've had him since he was 6 weeks), but he's also a biter at times (his parents were both feral).

One thing I've learned with these cats is to never approach them (to pet them) with your hand in front of the face.  Always approach from behind the head.  There's something about seeing your hand that starts the trouble.  I won't guarantee this will stop all the craziness, but it will help a lot, and don't be afraid to ream her out when she misbehaves.

P.S.  The only thing the water bottle ever did with my Al was get water all over my condo!

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought the same thing about the spritzer water bottle but....I have come to see its value.  If you ever get desperate enough to try it you don't let the the animal see it coming.  One quick spritz to the back is like someone tapping you on the shoulder/back when you are busily engaged in an activity.  It stops them in their tracks, interrupts the unwanted activity and they turn to see about it.  You just look innocent.  Often (not always) that break in obsession with the negative activity is enough to get them to move on to something else.  Redirect their attetnion - have a toy ready to play, or call the animal to you for love, offer a treat, etc. - only after they stop.  It does not hurt them, they don't know where it comes from, and it helps break the negative obsession/activity.  Hope that helps give a new view point if you ever get to where you might consider it.  I have found it a very useful training tool and I once thought it was cruel.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

@Havarti   My cat is ROFL laughing.  Sure, he would stop for a second, then resume his activity,  I had to resort to a broom, yelling, and scratching pads all over the house.  At 4-1/2 years, and with much perseverance, he's much better now.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Havarti   My cat is ROFL laughing.  Sure, he would stop for a second, then resume his activity,  I had to resort to a broom, yelling, and scratching pads all over the house.  At 4-1/2 years, and with much perseverance, he's much better now.

@2blonde I have never had a cat that was not TERRIFIED of a broom.  Nobody in our house ever hit a cat with a broom.  I guess it is when you are sweeping they see that and perceive it as a threat.  But get the broom and off they'd go! 

One cat was terrified of ceiling fans and would slink on his belly around the edge of the room when the fan was on, looking up occasionally to make sure it wasn't coming down to get him. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I agree that she may be getting over stimulated. Hopefully the vet can help.

About the water bottle: We had one cat we had to do this with for a few weeks. We only gave him a squirt on his **bottom** and never in the face.

Honored Contributor

Wasn't this a feral cat?  If so I'd expect bitting and scratching.  I've heard they don't make satisfactory pets if that behavior has become a habit.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Petunia is still a kitten, right?  Goodness, my kitten didn't start calming down until he was at least a year old.  And a lot of that only came around when my older cat had finally had enough of his craziness and started reprimanding him for real.  

If you don't have a cat tree/tower, I would highly suggest getting at least one.  Your kitten needs some outlet for his energy.  And if possible, put it in a window where he can watch outside activity, especially birds.  Your older cat may very well enjoy a tower as well.  I have several in various rooms of the house and when my young one gets the crazies, he races from one room to another, up one tree, down, and up another in another room.  I don't know what I'd do without them.

Good luck.