Esteemed Contributor

Petunia has graduated to stairs.

We took down the barrier to the stairs.  It was a pain for DD to get to her room taking the barrrier apart and putting it back so you-know-who wouldn't follow.

We did block off the loft railing so she can't do a high dive.  The outside edge of the top few steps are blocked too.  There is a console table along the wall below and if she fell of the outer top few steps she would hit it.

DD thought it was not necessary but I pointed out she would fall on a lamp, a glass jar with those little lights in it or worse, fall on her Dad.  His urn is on that table.

Surprisingly, she has been very good going up and down.  She went up last night and slept with DD for most of the night. With the exception of falling off the bed once and chewing on DD at 1:45 am she was good.

Now if we can break her of wrapping her paws around our arms and sinking those little razor sharp teeth we will be good.  We are not chew toys. The little barracuda draws blood.

Honored Contributor

Re: Petunia has graduated to stairs.

Hate the term "breaking".

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

Little Petunia is growing up.  My 2 year old cat, Henry, used to use his teeth a lot on me when he was a kitten.  I didn't like it at all.  He just quit doing it one day and doesn't do it at all anymore.  I think it's sweet that she loves your daughter so much.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Congratulations, Petunia!

graduating kitten.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

She can be the sweetest little ball of fluff and in 1 second you are holding a Tasmanian Devil.

Last night she was on DD, her back legs on her chest, little paws on DD's cheeks and was licking her chin. Suddenly she wheeled around all 4 paws around her forearm biting like crazy. Blood and swearing followed. Then she gives you that "Why are you yelling?" innnocent look.

DH would have loved her.  When we had our orange male years ago DH would be in his chair and that kitten would crawl beside him and nap.  DH loved that little guy.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I also had a small bedraggled kitten find me a few months after my husband died last year.  I already had a grown cat and a very large boisterous dog.  Another cat, and one that was starving and riddled with parasites was the last thing I wanted.  But he had such a personality, I hesitated before taking him to the shelter.  My best friend kept trying to talk me into keeping him, saying he had been sent by my husband.  I scoffed at the idea.  That would have been the last thing my husband would have sent to comfort me, I thought.  He was cute, but also a pain in the neck!

But, during the weekend that I kept him fully intending to take him in on the following Monday, I heard myself laugh.  And not just once.  That sort of penetrated my fog.  

A year and a half later, he's still here.  And he's still cute, and still a pain in the neck.  And he still makes me laugh.

💔🐾❤️

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 Me, too.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 When a kitten does that with its claws, you immediately remove the cat from the arm. say NO loudly (not screaming) in her face and put her DOWN, off the bed or wherever she is when she does that. If this isn't taken in hand it will get worse.

You can also get a squirt bottle of water, say NO loudly (not yelling) and give her a squirt on her rear end. This will enforce the idea that this behavior is NOT allowed.

It may take some time but it must be addressed now. I wish you the best.

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids   I told DD last night to just put her down and ignore her.  If she's "nice" make a fuss but snarly gets put down and no attention.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I have to say, in my experience, a firm and slightly loud NO in the face works, along with the lack of attention for awhile. Just my own experience with all my cats.