Respected Contributor

Re: Petunia has graduated to stairs.

When a kitten, one of our cats didn't respond to "no", but DID to a loud "OW".

Maybe it sounded cat-like?  lol  In any event. he'd usually stop biting or clawing and start licking our hands.  Weird little cat.

Denise
Respected Contributor

c'mon, I beg you Miss Retired - PLEASE Pen A Book About PETUNIA and her escapades.

You'd be genius at it!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

You will continue learning more about Sweet Petunia & her mischievous & playful ways.

She seems to be very much loved & comfortable with you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2,  Thank you for giving this sweet pea a home!❤️   

It's normal for them to tend to view everything as a toy (or as prey), and they have an abundance of energy, too.   In general, it's really important to be careful never to use our hands or fingers to attract them for play, even though it's tempting when they're so tiny.   

The problem is if we sometimes allow it and then other times we push them away for thinking our hands/fingers are toys, they're going to get mixed messages.   (In the same vein, please don't use water sprays...  they see the water bottle as an extension of our hand/arm/body -- an extension of us -- and it signals that we are causing them an unpleasant feeling and it affects the bond we want to build with them.   Jackson Galaxy has some great advice about this online in articles and videos.)   Look for as many toys as possible, with variety, and keep your little pal busy and active with those...  and gently and consistently distract her from your hands by using those toys.  

If you aren't a Jackson Galaxy viewer, I think you'd enjoy looking up his Animal Planet shows and watching the magic!   At one time or another, he solves just about any kind of kitty conundrum you can imagine and gives us practical knowledge and tools.    Best of luck to you with this dear little Petunia!

cat hearts gif

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just a few suggestions so you can see how a gifted cat behaviorist gets into that complex and wonderful mind of the feline.😻   

(please copy and paste link URLs -- I'm not always sure which sites are within the Community standards hyperlinks)

"Cat Behavior Resources"

thejacksongalaxyproject.org/Resources/Cat-Behavior-Resources

"Best and Worst Ways to Train Your Cat (Hint: NO squirt gun)" 

youtube.com/watch?v=WJcWoksdlOM

"Aggression in Cats"

jacksongalaxy.com/blog/aggression-in-cats/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@MoonieBaby   Thanks, but you over estimate my abilities as far as writing.  

@dooBdoo    She started the grabbing with aws and biting DD again last night.  DD said a firm NO and put her on the floor.  Well, Little P jumped on her leg and tried to climb up again.  DD said No and pulled her off and sat her on the floor.  8 times that kitten tried to climb her. DD laughed and said "This is why I dont have kids."  She finallly got distracted by a toy but it is going to take awhle getting her to not want to chew your arm off.

It's a good thing she is cute. She is entertaining as all get out.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

When you have time, 

I NEED a Henry moment. ♥️

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@NickNack 

When you have time, 

I NEED a Henry moment. ♥️

@Drythe   Thank you for asking about Henry.  This morning it is a warm 61 degrees.  It has been 44 degrees when we wake up and too cold for Henry to go out on the porch.  I have to leave the door cracked for him to come back inside, and I don't want to do that when it's so cold.  Right now he's enjoying looking out the screen to see if anything exciting is going on in the yard.  I love it when he can spend a couple of hours in the morning on the porch because he seems to enjoy it so much.

99DFBD33-3FC0-4C03-B832-62E48509C61E_1_201_a.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack   Holy cow, Henry has the same coloring as Petunia. Of course she is smaller and the white on her chest doesn't go down quite as far, but she has black on her chin and a black smudge on her nose.

He is a cutie.

I was putting the little monster kitty in her carrier yesterday, she wasn't happy and scratched the living daylights ut of my arms. I was bleeding like a stuck pig.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Thank you.  When you were describing Petunia earlier I thought it sounded like her coloring was similar to Henry's.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau