Esteemed Contributor

Petunia Makes This Sound When Mad/Fiesty.

I have wondered this for awhile.  When Petunia gets all wound up, and especially, when she gets "mad" when she is stopped from doing what she shouldn't, she makes a weird sound.

She stands still, looks at you and makes a "ack" sound.  Only way I can describe it.  It's not a cough, it is a deliberate sound.

The first time was when she was about 2 months old and she has done it probably 8/10 times in the last year.  The first time it was funny to see this tiny kitten being all bossy and tough.

You can tell she is giving you a piece of her mind.

My other cats never did this.  Anyone ever see this  before?

Respected Contributor

Re: Petunia Makes This Sound When Mad/Fiesty.

I have had cats who were "hunting" moths through the windows make a sort of chittering sound, similar to what Petunia does, but most of my kitties have expressed their displeasure or disgust with me by a look, turn and walk away with tail held high, not a sound.  Miss Petunia is certainly a little character of a cat, @CrazyKittyLvr2 !

Honored Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

I have had cats who were "hunting" moths through the windows make a sort of chittering sound, similar to what Petunia does, but most of my kitties have expressed their displeasure or disgust with me by a look, turn and walk away with tail held high, not a sound.  Miss Petunia is certainly a little character of a cat, @CrazyKittyLvr2 !

That's what mine does with birds that come right up under the window.  Only I call it "chirping".

As for being disgusted, I just get "the look" and then "the tail".  More than sufficient to convey the idea. 😂

Esteemed Contributor

@CamilleP  She makes the usual cat sounds and is quite chatty, chirping and such.

This sound is different and I'm not sure I want to know what she saying.   It's only one loud brief, "ack", but I think she's swearing at us. lol

Honored Contributor

Bill makes a sound that is similar to a cough AND a sneeze.

I've learned when he does that his pancreas is inflamed.

Right now he's back on Amoxicillan.  About every few months he will make that what I call a SNAUF.  A combination of a cough and a sneeze.

This is similar to what caused Grumpy Cat to expire.

It's like night and day after a few doses of the Amoxicillin he seems more like himself.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   We have heard her sneeze and she has never coughed.

She did it this am.  She was in DD's room "helping" DD sew.  I heard DD saying, "Petunia get off that",  "Petunia, I said no", "little girl, you are not helping".  Next thing DD came to the top of the stairs and said Petunia got on her bed, stood there, looked at DD and "ack" came out.  She said the cat was unhappy being scolded and moved away from DD's project.  She does it intentionally.

She is such a weird kitty sometimes.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Henry makes that sound.  It's because his face is so flat that it's his breathing.  He doesn't do it all the time.  Could it have something to do with Petunia's breathing?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack   I don't think it's her breathing. She runs around like a maniac and has no breathing issues. The vet says she is fine and has detected no issues with her.

She chooses when to do it.

Like I said she has only done it 8/10 times since we have had her. It's always when she is in a really fiesty mood or when she doesn't get her way.

Respected Contributor

Cats are so funny.  I've been a cat Mom for decades.  Jasmine (9 years old) usually rules the house in the a.m.  I'm a night owl, so if I sleep too late she walks around looking into the bedroom.  My dog's bed is in my bedroom and sometimes Jasmine will go up and sniff her ear to try to get her to wake up.  Or she'll just come in my room and give herself a good, noisy bath til I wake up.  Cat Happy

Super Contributor

One of my cats gets mad with the laser pointer and I call it his grumbling, it's really cute. It's low and kind of under his breath, like he's frustrated.