Esteemed Contributor

Pet dander...a problem for...?

I've been told that my kitty has dander, and I feel like a bad mom. Should I?

There's a new dry food out that supposedly, after three weeks of eating it, the dander is gone. Kitty likes it, but not as much as what I was feeding her before. As a result I'm throwing more out… it sits for a day and overnight and she's not interested.

Is pet dander a problem for anybody, aside from those with allergies? Does it bother the animal?  Opinions please.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Re: Pet dander...a problem for...?

All cats and dogs have dander.  It's the shedding of old skin cells.  I don't see how any food could eliminate it as it's natural and healthy.  Why would you want to?  Best to leave well enough alone.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

I've been told that my kitty has dander, and I feel like a bad mom. Should I?

There's a new dry food out that supposedly, after three weeks of eating it, the dander is gone. Kitty likes it, but not as much as what I was feeding her before. As a result I'm throwing more out… it sits for a day and overnight and she's not interested.

Is pet dander a problem for anybody, aside from those with allergies? Does it bother the animal?  Opinions please.

It's not possible for dander to be gone. Cats will shed dead skin cells as new skin cells are oroduced. There are some reasons why a cat's skin might not be healthy, and a nutritional deficit can affect the skin and it's cell turnover. Grooming your cat more often can remove some dander and keep the coat heathy. Prevent fleas, mites and allergens can help keep the cat from scratching which spreads dander and in some cases accelerate skin growth during the healing process. Dietary fats can affect the skin as can

intake of many different nutrients, vitamins and minerals. The cats hormones can also affect its skin. Some skin infections or internal infections can affect the cats skin. So an the cats allergies to insect bites, pollens and a myriad of other allergens. Some shampoos and anything put on the skin for grooming can dry out skin and cause increase in dander. Some medications can also affect the skin. The concept is similar to what affects human skin. We also shed our skin and produce dander. Our skin is affected by the same types of things a cats skin is affected by. 

The new food probably contains a mixture of fats and oils that other foods might not have but that your cat needs to maintain a healthy skin and coat. Look up the ingredients and how each one affects cats online. 

Esteemed Contributor

Be leery of the so called designer or scientific recipes for pets.  Check the ingredients.  The less, the better.  The best is just real food.  

Food to eliminate dander?  What next?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda 

When I got my rescue girl cat, her fur was like a Brillo pad. I know the cat sanctuary was a big fan of Friskies, but I don't know what else she ate.

We fed her high quality, grain free wet food, and in no time her coat was soft and she looked more "robust."  She has more dander than my boy cat, but she does not really like to be brushed so I will take the small victory in the quality of her fur. 

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda , I'm fostering a long-haired chihuahua with black and tan fur. She has dander so I gently comb and brush down to her skin. She loves it and it helps her stay clean. I'm going to bathe her as soon as the vet says it's okay. She's almost healed from being spayed. I think thoroughly brushing will help your kitten.

Respected Contributor

Dander in iself is not unusual.  It's the amount and the condition of the skin and hiar that gives you clues something might be wrong.  Could be something metabolic....could be she's to old or chubby to reach her back to groom.  combing and gentle skin masage can certainly help the circulation but it might kick up the dander allready there so the dander looks Worse for the first few sessions.  If it's dander to excess I'd have it checked out.  Better safe than to ignore what might be an evident symptom.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for all the input!

She's a healthy kitty, good weight, does a good job grooming, fleas and mites are not a problem.  I brush her...when she lets me.  She's pretty independent.  She was a very young rescue (kitten), but even 12 years later, it seems some of those early scary memories are still there.

The food is Purina Pro Plan LiveClear.  Something about egg proteins...maybe the intent is to make it so it removes/lessens/changes the dander so people who are allergic to cats can then be around them.  I'd have to look it up again.  But I don't think I'll get it this time around.  The vet doesn't say it's an enormous amount of dander...just that she has it.

She's been grain free for a few years. 

Thanks for the responses and good information!

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

Try brushing/combing your cat daily.  The dander is more noticable on my black cat but she loves being combed and that helps.  

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda,  I can't think of anything to add to the good information already posted, but I wanted to ask you an off-topic question.   Kitty related, though.

You once wrote a moving post about your cherished kitty who always placed his soft paw in your hand as you both drifted off to sleep.❤️   You were looking for a bracelet with a kitty paw to reflect that meaningful gesture of love.   Your poignant words touched me deeply and I never forgot.    I'm struggling to move through the emptiness left by my beautiful Rosie.❤️    She was my best buddy.   She would sit next to me and tap with her gentle paw until I scooped her up and cuddled her or gave her love scritches and lots of attention...   tap, tap...  I'm here...  tap, tap...  please don't forget me.   I'll never forget her.   Never.  But I think I want to find a bracelet that will represent that gentle touch, that connection to the remembering.  I was wondering if you ever found that special bracelet that captured your heart?

Thanks, and I'm sorry to go off topic.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova