Highlighted
Honored Contributor

For those who would like to help animals but aren't able to commit to working in a shelter perhaps you could volunteer to transport pets. There are volunteer organizations who schedule transport all over the country. They set up legs, post them and you can offer to drive the leg near you. With cell phones it works well, you get the pet/pets from the person who drove the leg before yours and meet up with the person driving the next. The transfer locations are public and safe. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Pet Transport Volunteering

I used to do this sometimes. I enjoyed it. I don’t like to drive that far now because of my back. When I did do it I found it rewarding.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

You are sooo right!  Three years ago my boy was transported to me (MA) from NYC.  I was most grateful for their kindness in giving their time and expense to bring my Eddy to me.  

Though Eddy and I had never met, it was truly a match made in Heaven!  So, we will both always be grateful to the Rescue and Transporters who brought us together.Heart

Unfortunately, I cannot transport; but, these people who do this work are a most important leg of the rescue mission who, unfortunately, don't always get the kudos they so well deserve.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain 

Our favorite animal rescue here in the deep south of GA, where there is unfortunately an abundance of homeless pets and mostly 'kill shelters', organizes several trips a year to deliver homeless pets up North to loving families!

There's not a dry eye in the place when we deliver their new, furry family members!

The families are lined up, with their collars, leashes and toys/treats for their new family members and their excitement is obvious!

Seeing the joy on the family's faces, as well as the animal's faces, is truly the most endearing thing I've ever participated in!

I smiled all the way home still feeling all of that love!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

I have done it when I was in better shape. It was so rewarding and a lot of fun at the drop off/pick up points.  You get the dogs, let them stretch their legs and go potty, give them a drink and off to the next stop. 

Respected Contributor

Bless your hearts — ALL of you.  Started out fostering and ended up helping to transport to NJ and NY from here in TX.  Started this program when Katrina hit LA and we started sheltering and oh so precious...  this is not work it is pure love.  

Something else has happened this year in our County - all the shelters here are now no kill so we will keep up this movement. We now have waitlists for our pups. We’re so lucky to have some friends with planes and that’s a huge help. 

I could go on and on but you already know how wonderful this program is. BTW we have also enhanced our care to include pet food deliveries to recepients of Meals On Wheels. Very helpful.

Thanks y’all for being the voices for those in need.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain 

Thank you for mentioning this!!!

I have done this for years, and it is SO rewarding.  For anyone looking for a fun, happy way to help animals this might be just the thing for you.  These animals are going to an approved, Good home.

Just do your homework and make sure you are working with someone who has been doing this for a while, and is careful to assure that all Veterinarian records are required, especially if crossing state lines.

Happy Trails !  Happy Tails! 🐈🐕🦡🐐

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

It is very rewarding.

doxie

Respected Contributor

Related image

And I know you all are wonderful for all you do for the critters! Good work all!

Frequent Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

For those who would like to help animals but aren't able to commit to working in a shelter perhaps you could volunteer to transport pets. There are volunteer organizations who schedule transport all over the country. They set up legs, post them and you can offer to drive the leg near you. With cell phones it works well, you get the pet/pets from the person who drove the leg before yours and meet up with the person driving the next. The transfer locations are public and safe. 

Thank you for this information @occasionalrain.