Esteemed Contributor

Julia Calderone
Consumer ReportsMarch 28, 2017

Most pet owners have heard they should keep dogs away from chocolate and cats away from lilies. But did you know that just a few sticks of sugar-free gum could cause liver failure in your dog? Or that half a tablet of Tylenol could put your cat into a coma?

Pet poisonings are common and have been happening more often in recent years, says Tina Wismer, D.V.M., medical director of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Animal Poison Control Center. This month, the ASPCA released data showing that its hotline handled 180,639 such cases in 2016. 

We've compiled a list of the most common pet toxins reported to the ASPCA in 2016 and what you can do to prevent a poisoning from happening in your home. (Unless otherwise noted, these are applicable to cats and dogs.) 

Most of these medications, foods, and chemicals aren't safe in any amount for pets, but the severity of a reaction depends largely on the animal's size. “It’s going to take a lot less for a chihuahua than it is for a Great Dane to cause a problem,” Wismer says.

If you think your pet has been poisoned, take the food or chemical away and immediately call your vet. If you can’t get through, try the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888-426-4435). (The ASPCA might charge a $65 consultation fee.) 

More (including symptoms):  https://www.yahoo.com/news/protect-cat-dog-common-pet-192857509.html

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

@Marp - A few years ago my daughter was visiting me when she received a phone call from her daughter that her lab had just ingested some of that sugar-free gum.  Daughter took the dog to the emergency vet right away and  it was good she did because the dog, in that short period of time, had already gone into distress.  She fortunately recovered but it was a wake-up call for all about the gum.  Thanks for posting this Marp.

Honored Contributor

@Marp  Thank-you for sharing!  

Honored Contributor

For the info,

Image result for thank you dog images

Respected Contributor

Marp, those links in the piece go to CR articles on CHILDREN and poisoning, not PETS and poisoning.

Am I missing something?

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann, the link at the bottom of the post ( https://www.yahoo.com/news/protect-cat-dog-common-pet-192857509.html ) is to the remainder of the article with specifics about plants, medications, etc. and symptoms to watch for.

I don't know why the links embedded in the article are to kids.

The embedded link to the ASPCA poison control center is accurate.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@noodleann, the link at the bottom of the post ( https://www.yahoo.com/news/protect-cat-dog-common-pet-192857509.html ) is to the remainder of the article with specifics about plants, medications, etc. and symptoms to watch for.

I don't know why the links embedded in the article are to kids.

The embedded link to the ASPCA poison control center is accurate.

@Marp thanks so much, I am going there now. I always read lists like the one in the Yahoo piece, b/c it's easy to forget a category, and sometimes new ones are added. I did have a cat who ate and entire philodendron and never even upchucked, but I know most won't be so lucky.

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: cat and text

Regular Contributor

Lillies toxic to cats?

OMGosh! I had NO idea that lillies were toxic to cats! I was thinking about buying the lillies that qvc had on tv recently!! I was going to plant them around our house. I do not have a cat, BUT I would have been so upset if a neighborhood cat got ill from them. Qvc should probably mention this tupe of info on their gardening shows!!

MACADAMIA NUTS

I did not see this on the list, but I have always been told they are TOXIC to dogs.

GARLIC:

I personally believe that small amounts of garlic are ok for most dogs (always check into your specific breed and into your dog's specific health issues, tjough). I know that onions are VERY toxic to dogs, but I have always given my little Shih Tzu small amounts of garlic in her homecooked diet. I have fed her this way for over 13 yrs. She is 15 yo now. Smiley Happy  I was told by our old holistic vet that she could have 1/4 avg sized clove of garlic per day. To be safe, I always cut it down to about 1 clove per one week's worth of dogfood recipe (7 days worth of her food has 1 total garlic clove minced into it). It is a great anti fungal and antibacterial, among other things. Her blood tests for liver and kidney values have always been great.  Again, this is just my personal experience. Every owner should research further to decide what is safest for their pet, of course. Smiley Happy

Lysol Spray Air Disinfectant & Fabreeze:

I did not see this mentioned. I have been told that Lysol air disinfectant is highly toxic to dogs, but I thought Fabreeze was pet safe. It says so on the label. However, I have read many articles saying that it is actually toxic to dogs and people (cancer causing). I used to spray Fabreeze in my mom's basement (root cellar) to get rid of that humid smell in the wet spring season (no mold or leaks...just musty), but I NO longer do so. We now use Damp Rid (comes in a bucket) to help dehumidify her cellar. It works great. 

Thanks for posting this info!