Honored Contributor

It might be wise to print this and keep it for future reference.

Screenshot_20230308-103114_kindlephoto-95588815.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Thank you @Kachina624 for posting this list. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Pet Owners Need to Know

[ Edited ]

Or they just need to trust that the animals have instincts and listen to them.

My mom planted all sorts of plants and flowers and we had many different pets over the years. None of which died from the plantlife.

Honored Contributor

That's a great reference @Kachina624 .  I always make it a policy to look up any plant or flower that I'm going to plant or bring into my home before I buy it.  I've done that for years.

I have succulents in my kitchen window, and when I decided to add them about five years ago I started researching them as to their suitability to living indoors and also as to toxicity to pets.  I was surprised how many were poisonous to pets.  Since Henry, my cat, can jump on my kitchen counter it was important to me that it would be okay if he ate them.  (He hasn't done so.)

I always have some type of fern on my screened in porch, and the same thing applies there.  One type of fern that I originally wanted was poisonous to cats.  Henry spends a lot of time on my porch in the summer.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

One of my favorite plants is castor bean, for quick shade.  They grow from a little bean to 6-8' high in a season and big leaves give lots of shade.  The poisonous beans grow in clusters at the top so, unless your pet is a giraffe, it's unlikely to be a threat.  They die with a freeze and I always quickly removed them to the garbage.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack    You probably have a CATio and just don't know it.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 Thanks for posting.   Good reminder and I did print and put on the refrigerator.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  Thank you for sharing this guide. There were many more toxic than I was aware of and I've printed it for quick reference.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624,

Thank you, 

Happy International Womens Day, March 8, roses and text

Regular Contributor

Thanks so much for posting this.

"Some people look for a beautiful place. Others make a place beautiful."