Honored Contributor

Pet Lovers need your input please

[ Edited ]

We had a sweet pup brought over to our home yesterday from a couple who need to rehome their 2 year old Labrador. He is a sweet heart...a ball of energy of course, and he got along well with our 9 year old female golden retriever.  They played in the yard all day....he came inside  the house and was  very good. 

They took rhe pup home after a full day of his getting to know my husband and myself.....and we were going to set up another play day this week. They really want to know who they are rehoming to and that the dog fits the situation.  Personally I think it is harder on the dog to come and go from home to home and back again....but the woman likes the idea of the dog seeing us a friends when he comes to see us.  Perhaps she right.

So, I am trying to see how I feel  this morning about adopting the cute young playful sweet pup before completely committing to adopting him.  We recently lost a dog, and that is still there....but, yesterday when the pup was here it seemed to heal the hurt from our loss....and I know that we can give this dog a real forever home and all the care he requires.   

So I will call her later today and see how they feel and let her know how I feel about taking the pup as our own. It is a lifetime commitment as I see it and just really want to make sure that it is time to bring another pup into our family.  

Do you think another play day would be a good idea?  I think the other couple would like that even,  though I feel that it just extends or delays the bonding  that needs to happen between the pup and us. But,  I amhappy to make the couple feel good and do the play days. 

They are a a very nice couple.... young,  with three children ( one a newborn) both lawyers, and working full time . The dog they felt just was not getting the attention it needed, was a bit too much energy around the babies...and they are planning to move to another state soon  as well, so they felt that perhaps rehoming was best for the dog.

i can tell that this dog had the best care and is well adjusted.

Am I ready for this?  I guess only I can answer that.  I value your opinions.  I have to go to a dentist appointment this morning so will not be able to read your posts until later today.  Do not think I just left the thread hanging....I will report back in the late afternoon.

THANKYOU❤️

Honored Contributor

Re: Pet Lovers need your input please

Sounds like you're ready to do this, had this been me & DH I'm betting we'd definitely help out this young couple and love this new one with the current dog (we have) and be so happy in so many ways.

You've had dogs before, you've thrown yourself into raising, loving having them. We all do. We LOVE our pets. We've lost our pets too and balled our eyes out because of the loss. I firmly believe that most times it's (almost) necessary to do it all over again, bring into our lives another puppy to raise even if s/he's 2 years old. We need to love again, all the while we NEVER forget the ones we may have lost.

As long as the new one got really nicely with your golden, sounds like the mix will be a good one. The play date sounds successful. DH & I would do this for sure. We've had 2 dogs at the same time previously and they got along famously.

Best to you with your decision - AND new addition to the fam!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I like you would want to adopt him immediately!  

I know when I adopted my Jade the rescue kept her for about a month because she had come with a severe ear infection.  I used to go and visit her - we immediately bonded (like it sounds you have too).  The day I finally could take her home, somehow she understood. As she walked out with an entourage of techs, drs., etc.  she came running over to me, placed her arms on my shoulders and kissed me nonstop. They actually had to put her new collar on 'cause we just kept kissing and hugging.  Actually as we walked out they all lined up and the dr. requested a goodbye kiss, but she just ignored them, unable to wait to get into out car.  So I can tell you, should you have to wait, it won't hurt you or the pup - somehow they know and can wait!

However, I definitely have a contract drawn up to be sure they don't renege.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a match to me.  I am by no means a dog expert, so I may offer an alternate view.  Dog gets along with kids, dog gets along with potential new sibling, and dog gets along with other people.  Check, check, check.  Medical records would be my last check.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden it seems to me that the pup is a good fit.You didn’t express any negatives.I read your post twice and I think that the current owners apprehension is what is making this a little more difficult for you.It seems that they are having trouble letting go and of course feeling that they owe their pet a loving home now that they are unable to fit that responsibility into their own lives.I think your home sounds perfect.

Esteemed Contributor

My feeling is that it's fine if the couple wants their dog to have some visits in your home before finalizing adoption.  The fact that they are taking the time to try to give their Lab a good new home shows that they really care about the dog.  You may be ready now, but it won't your patience may be better rewarded by having a dog who is losing the family he knows feel more comfortable in your home when he finally yours

Blessings to you for being kind enough to open your home and heart to an adult dog (2-yrs old is considered to be an adult dog). 

Valued Contributor

@GCR18 

Good post and advice.  I think you covered everything!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

You obviously have given this some serious thought and you also have experience with pets. Some people don't realize the commitment of owning a pet. They just look at the cuteness factor.  Anytime that I have lost a pet the only way for me to heal was to get another one. It just helps to heal the heart a little easier I think. If you still are undecided maybe another play session might help to answer your question. I wish you the best.

Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like the pup has already found his "forever" home with you. I won't delay it because I agree with you that it is confusing to the pup and your dog. Since they got along so well from the start. I respect all the good intentions from both families. I would call her and say that the puppy is already in your heart and family. Warm wishes to all of you!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

You sound as if you’ve already decided to take the dog, so there’s really no need to comment on that.

As far as letting the dog visit as opposed to immediate possession, I don’t see how visits could be a problem or confusing to the dog, as is your concern.  In fact, I would think it would be a much better transition for everyone—you, the family (especially the kids), and the pup himself.  It gives everyone a chance to know each other, and it also give you a chance to ask questions about the dog you may not have thought of yet.  And with more exposure before you’ve signed the deal, you just might see something in the dog you question.  (It is possible.)

My friend and I visit with our dogs constantly.  Her dogs view me as a second “Mom”, just as mine does her.  Her dogs will stay with me willingly without a fuss.  They’re not confused.

If it were me, I’d take as many visits as I could.  I’d also want to visit the dog in their home.  I would want to see the dog in as many different situations as possible to see his reactions before I fully committed.

I hope it works out for all of you.  It sounds like the new pup would have a wonderful home.  If I were the family, I’d be eternally grateful for an adopter like you!