Honored Contributor

I finally purchased a policy for my 8 year old cat.  He is in very good health but vet bills for illnessess can run quite high.

Valued Contributor

Would you be kind enough to state which policy you purchased and the cost?  I receive information from various insurance companies and I know I should get one for my little guy but don't know which to purchase. Cat Happy As they get older, the bills can be outrageous.  Any information you are willing to share will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.                docsgirl

Honored Contributor

@docsgirl  You didn't ask me, but I've had Healthy Paws for quite a few years.  They pay exactly what they say they will, and I've never had any problems.  When I got my kitten eight months ago I immediately got a policy for him.  I haven't used it yet.  I have one for my dog, too.  

Healthy Paws doesn't pay for exams, vaccines or spay/neuter.  I don't remember reading about any policies that paid for vaccines or spay/neuter, but I could be wrong.  I didn't want routine exam coverage, because I can afford that.  The insurance is quite a bit less expensive without that coverage.

Healthy Paws has been rated the #1 Pet Insurance Co. since before I've had it.  Their reviews are excellent.  I got about five quotes.  You can choose between 70%, 80% and 90% coverage, and I have 90%.  I am very happy with it.

You need to make sure the insurance you get pays on the actual price you spent and not what the insurance company thinks is a reasonable cost.  Go to petinsurancereview dot com to read about the various insurance companies.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

NickNack,

Thanks so very much for the detailed information.  I will definitely look into them.  Since my guy was a rescue, we really don't have an age for him.  He may be around 10-11 years of age.  I'm sure the premiums are higher for older animals but he's beyond worth it.  Thank you, again.  Have a wonderful day.    docsgirlCat Happy

Honored Contributor

@docsgirl You're welcome.  I forgot to say that none of the insurance companies will pay for pre-existing conditions.  They will definitely insure rescues even when you aren't sure of their age.  The premium will be higher as you said.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack

Do you submit the bills yourself, and then they send you a check? Is that how it works? 

You make a monthly payment on premiums? Must be a little pricey for older animals. Just like all insurance it’s a bit of a gamble but could be worth it.

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

@NickNack

Do you submit the bills yourself, and then they send you a check? Is that how it works? 

You make a monthly payment on premiums? Must be a little pricey for older animals. Just like all insurance it’s a bit of a gamble but could be worth it.

@Another new name Sue  Yes, you pay the Vet bill and then send the bill in to the insurance company.  I take a picture of it and send it in through my phone.  You can also mail it in.  My payments are automatically deducted from my checking account.  I pay $62.76 a month for my 6 1/2 year old french bulldog.  For a mixed breed dog it would be less.  I had insurance for my Japanese Chin who died at 13 years old.  I honestly don't remember how much it was.

For me I feel like it's worth it.  If one of my pets was to develop cancer and needed an expensive surgery or other type of expensive treatment it would be such a relief to me to have insurance that would cover it.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Pet Insurance

[ Edited ]

I forgot to say that I have a $100 deductible.  You can choose from $100 to $1,000 for your deductible.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I have had Healthy Paws for my 7 year old golden and my 4 year old golden for several years.  I started my older golden on it at 11 months old.  I have never  had any health issues with my dogs, so never made a claim at this point..... it which is a good thing!   I pay about  $ 145  a month total for both policies.  They just charge my credit card so I never really think about it. 

Many people say to just put the money aside each month... but if something really serious came up, I doubt you would have enough saved up in that account put aside to cover everything.  I look at pet insurance like home or car insurance.  I have had farmers insurance for going on 40 years and NEVER HAD TO USE IT either for car or home.  But... you still have to have it.   it is just a fact of life like taxes....

Esteemed Contributor

I've got Healthy Paws and premium went up this year to $73.75, with $1000 deductible.

My boy was rescued with a broken spine so I'm sure they'll be a lot that will never be covered.  But, just going to Tufts Vet Teaching Hosp can cost an easy $1000; hoping if anything comes up in the future, they'll cover most of it! Praying Eddy stays healthy as he's been thru enough, imho.