Honored Contributor

@juanitalinda  One of my co-workers has something called CareCard? But she's interested in insurance because the APR is high on the credit line.

Respected Contributor

It's a shame pet medical insurance is so expensive. The cost of a policy that would cover serious illness, not just routine care, is more than the cost of my own medical insurance. I guess it comes down to illness is illness, be it us our our pets. At any rate, insuring my pets is cost prohibitive for me. For those who can afford it, be grateful.

Honored Contributor

I have PetPlan insurance for my dogs.  It has saved me thousands of dollars.  Right after one of my dogs was a year old, she developed a major illness and required CT scans and surgery....spent 5 days in ICU  I got back almost $8,000 the first year alone. 

I have never had a hassle and I get my reimbursement check in a few days.

Honored Contributor

@nomless wrote:

It's a shame pet medical insurance is so expensive. The cost of a policy that would cover serious illness, not just routine care, is more than the cost of my own medical insurance. I guess it comes down to illness is illness, be it us our our pets. At any rate, insuring my pets is cost prohibitive for me. For those who can afford it, be grateful.

@nomless  I have Healthy Paws Pet Insurance, and it is nowhere near as expensive as insurance for a person.  I pay $60 a month for my 6 1/2 year old french bulldog.  Insurance for a french bulldog is much higher than it is for many other breeds.  It covers any type of illness and surgeries as long as they are not pre-existing conditions.  It does not cover routine care.  I can budget for routine care myself.  Healthy Paws has been the #1 rated pet insurance for many years.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack, thanks for the info you posted about your insurance.

Honored Contributor

@nomless wrote:

@NickNack, thanks for the info you posted about your insurance.

@nomless  You're welcome.  I forgot to say that with Healthy Paws you choose your coverage amount and deductible.  I have 90% coverage with a $100 deductible.

-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

We adopted Gracie from a shelter--she was 3 1/2 months old. Bought pet insurance through VPI (now known as Nationwide)--the monthly premiums were not high--each visit was a $50 deductible--and they reimbursed us according to a fee schedule--seems we were always laying out hugh sums of money and we were not happy with the amount we got back.The premiums went up every year--but as Gracie aged, they became unaffordable--she is now 13 years 8 months--and her premium was over $100 a month. We gave it many months of thought about dropping the insurance--if we saved that amount every month, we'd have enough to pay the vet for most illnesses Gracie might come down with. At her age, if she (God forbid) came down with cancer or any other terminal illness, we would not prolong her suffering, whether she had insurance or not. Also, because Gracie comes down with gastrointestinal illnesses at least 3x a year, the insurance would only cover some of the vet bill once--and then would say her bills would not be covered anymore that year for this same illness--which I found ridiculous! Gracie has arthritis in her knees--she had laser treatments--6 of them--the insurance would only cover some of 2 of them with the arthritis diagnosis--so I got smart and used the diagnosis of ACL tear (she had a tiny one) and then they covered the rest of the treatments (but again, only a tiny portion). Each treatment cost $75--they charged a $50 deductible each time--and only paid 80% of the $25 left----really????

If we should ever get another puppy, I would take out insurance for the first five years--the premium would be low--but would drop it once the premiums got higher--and would put aside money to pay the vets bills. That much I've learned. Gracie's last illness--three weeks ago--cost us $700 in vet bills---I'm pretty sure if we still had insurance, we would not have been reimbursed more than $200--besides the monthly premiums.

Shop around to get a decent deal for pet insurance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Pet Insurance

[ Edited ]

@Gracies Mom  As you unfortunately found out, pet insurance that pays according on a fee schedule and with a per visit deductible is not a wise investment.  I have Healthy Paws, and it pays based on what the Vet charges.  You choose your payment and your deductible.  I am paid 90% with a $100 annual deductible.  They do not pay for routine vet visits, vaccinations, spays/neuters or pre-existing conditions.  I didn't want insurance for routine vet visits, because it's always an additional premium and I can budget for those visits.  I don't know of any pet insurance that will pay for pre-existing conditions.  I do feel it's worth the money.  I'm sorry that you weren't with a better pet insurance company when you needed it.

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

My work finally started offering pet "insurance" and it kicked in at the beginning of the year.

It is actually a discount plan offered through specific vets, but it saves me around 20% off most services.

Today my two doggie girls had their teeth cleaned and one had this ugly growth removed from her whisker area.

It is through Pet Assure and they take the money out of my paycheck like they do for my own insurance.

So far, it has saved me probably more than I will pay all year for the premium!

I also took them in a couple of weeks ago for dog flu shots, so the $$$ add up fast!

I was so surprised and happy that they started offering this for me!

Needless to say, they are very quiet tonight after being "worked on".