Reply
Super Contributor
Posts: 467
Registered: ‎04-07-2010

Something is off with pet food.  First there was a shortage.  Now I find brands again but the food is not the same.  Especially Purina foods have changed.  My cats used to eat certain foods.  Now they will not touch it.  The food looks different and smells different.  Some smell so bad that I can't stand to have them in the house.  What is going on with pet food?  What kind of garbage do they grind in now?  Unfortunately my cats will not touch 'people food' otherwise I would cook for them.  I do not trust that canned garbage I get lately.  Thankfully one of my cats likes a super premium food I have to special order.  That is still the same.  All of the widely available brands have changed and I doubt they are safe for our pets.Finding dog DNA in petfood speaks for itself. 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,499
Registered: ‎06-29-2015

Oh wow, I totally agree!

My cats always ate Friskies canned, but it's definitely changed in consistency & smell, so stands to reason that the taste is different too.

 

It's not juicy anymore....more like a solid pate with zero liquid, and the can's pull tabs have also changed - and not for the better!

Muddling through...
Super Contributor
Posts: 467
Registered: ‎04-07-2010

@sabatini wrote:

Oh wow, I totally agree!

My cats always ate Friskies canned, but it's definitely changed in consistency & smell, so stands to reason that the taste is different too.

 

It's not juicy anymore....more like a solid pate with zero liquid, and the can's pull tabs have also changed - and not for the better!


Wow, the kitty in the picture looks like one of mine.  My cats are family and I fear for my family.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,432
Registered: ‎03-21-2010

Review: Dinner PAWsible by Cathy Alinovi, DVM and Susan ...

 

This is the number 1 reason we home cook for our animals, u know what they are eating. 

Super Contributor
Posts: 463
Registered: ‎06-10-2015

This is weird, but I just saw your post & noticed my cat is not liking her canned food last 2 days. She has always liked this one brand. I haven't smelled it though.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,499
Registered: ‎06-29-2015

Re: Pet Food Woes

[ Edited ]

@TW wrote:

@sabatini wrote:

Oh wow, I totally agree!

My cats always ate Friskies canned, but it's definitely changed in consistency & smell, so stands to reason that the taste is different too.

 

It's not juicy anymore....more like a solid pate with zero liquid, and the can's pull tabs have also changed - and not for the better!


Wow, the kitty in the picture looks like one of mine.  My cats are family and I fear for my family.

 

 

The pic is of my kitty when she was a wee one. She was an adorable baby, so I'll bet yours was too.

 

Yes, I'm very concerned about the pet food too.


unnamed (3).jpg

Muddling through...
Super Contributor
Posts: 467
Registered: ‎04-07-2010

BTW, Wellness has changed also.  Different consistency, color and smell.  Cats now refuse to eat it.   Is there still any brand we can trust?  I suspect it all comes out of the same garbage pile. 

Super Contributor
Posts: 467
Registered: ‎04-07-2010

@deb5555 wrote:

Review: Dinner PAWsible by Cathy Alinovi, DVM and Susan ...

 

This is the number 1 reason we home cook for our animals, u know what they are eating. 


Had to smile about your post.  I bought several books for homecooking pet food.  Total failure on all recipes.  Sniffed it and walked away.  Tried to be sneaky and mixed a little in their usual food.  They ate the usual food and left the rest making sure they did not touch the home cooked with their tongues.  Cats are difficult.  Our visiting dog (belongs to a neighbor) loved the home cooked. 

Super Contributor
Posts: 467
Registered: ‎04-07-2010

Sabatini - yes she was a rescue, found by a dog and bottle raised.  Sweetest cat ever.

 

 

Liebling (2).JPG

Ember (3).JPG

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,715
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

If you visit TruthAboutPetFood dot com, you will know just how bad pet foods are for pets   Woman Sad

 

I cook real food for our Golden.

 

 

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!