Highlighted
Super Contributor

So many pet food recalls again.  I subscribe to Susan Thixton's news letter "Truth about Petfood".  It's free and they are always first in reporting issues about pet food.  Recently they had an article with pictures about a disgusting rendering plant in Oklahoma.  So gross.  I had learned about the disgusting practices during a Pet Food Seminar in Colorado.  They had mentioned that some of these companies grind in dead cats and dogs and road kill.  I had a hard time believing it.  But with the recent findings of the drugs that euthanize animals in the food there is no doubt - it is a fact.  This is so disgusting.  Our pets are our family members.  The FDA seems to close both eyes and allows this practice to continue.  All Pet lovers should write to them in protest and demand safe food for our family members.  You can't even trust the so-called premium foods and they seem to come from the same garbage pile.  I would home cook but my cats totally refuse to touch it. 

Honored Contributor

@TW@That is sick.I made all of my dogs food until she passed at 18.I think you should try to copy the ingredients listed in the food that your cat likes and see if it will eat it.Grind it up really well in the ninja.

Super Contributor

@dexwrote:

@TW@That is sick.I made all of my dogs food until she passed at 18.I think you should try to copy the ingredients listed in the food that your cat likes and see if it will eat it.Grind it up really well in the ninja.

During the seminar I also learned that these companies put in chemicals that "addict' the animals to the commercial food.  There are all sorts of flavor enhancers and other stuff they get used to and once fed these ingredients they will not touch anything else.  I found this to be true.  I think dogs are easier.  They love people food.  Cats on the other hand are soooo finicky.  I had one that almost died when they discontinued the food I used to feed him.  He refused to eat anything else and went into almost fatal liver failure.  He barely survived with supportive vet care.  Dogs are so much easier.  If it tastes good they will eat it.  I have tried everything, raw, chicken, all the secrets to get them to eat healthy.  Nothing works.  I have had this conversation with a lot of other cat owners and they all say the same thing.  When they are outside and rely on hand outs or a kind soul to feed them they eat everything.  Once they know they have a home it's all over and they turn into the most finicky creatures.

Honored Contributor

@TW@Well cats are tough to please.Could you ask the vet if they know of a mix-in that cats can’t resist.We feed a stray and like you said that cats eats with gusto whatever we bring.I would try to research those addictive additions online...maybe it’s catnip or something you can buy....just anything to be able to make quality healthy food.I used all organic food for my dog.We could have eaten from her dish.

Honored Contributor

I don't believe for a minute that any pet food grinds in dead cats and dogs.  That's a ridiculous scare tactic.  I would never feed my pets a food that wasn't made in the USA, and I feed the super premium pet foods.  I trust the manufacturers completely.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

@NickNackwrote:

I don't believe for a minute that any pet food grinds in dead cats and dogs.  That's a ridiculous scare tactic.  I would never feed my pets a food that wasn't made in the USA, and I feed the super premium pet foods.  I trust the manufacturers completely.

Then how do euthanasia drugs end up in the pet food? It is not a scare tactic.     I agree, there are some very good pet food companies and I do trust them while they manufacture their brand.  Unfortunately when there is a brand that does everythng right it doesn't take long and some big company gobbles them up.  Once they buy the brand it's over.  BTW, made in the USA does not mean a thing.  Ingredients, especially Vitamins and Minerals are imported from China a lot of times.  Have you ever seen a U.S. rendering plant?  Disgusting!  Do yourself a favor and educate yourself.  There a lot of reputable sites without any financial interest that test food.  They have no reason to use scare tactics but want to educate consumers.

Super Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thank you, @TW

I believe it.

That's one reason I like Whole Dog Journal because each year they research and rate the best foods (canned, dry, and others) in their publication.  Not just the food itself, but manufacturing conditions and practices.  They take no ads.

I wish there were something equivalent for cats.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I feed my dogs Orijen.  It is expensive...about $100 for a 25lb bag, it just went up in price. It has never had a recall and I trust the company.

i think it is terrible that dog food companies are selling junk food to our pets.  I hope they get caught, fined and are forced out of business.