Honored Contributor

Pet food, both dog and cat, owned by Smuckers contain Pentobarbital, a drug used for euthanasia. Some of the brands are Meow Mix, Milos, 9 Lives, Kibbles and Bits and others.

Esteemed Contributor

How on earth did that happen? It sounds like sabotage.

Honored Contributor

Yes, this came out about 6 weeks ago, and from what I read, affects mainly canned pet food.    Suspicions were that meat from euthanized horses was used to make the pet food.   Since the recall did not affect the brand of dry dog food we buy, I haven’t kept up with the story.   

Honored Contributor

I don't know how it could happen. A friend emailed it to me. I don't know if it's old news; I can't vouch for the validity. I just passed it along to be on the safe side. I don't feed any of the brands listed so I didn't investigate it knowing posters who do will research it before accepting it. 

If it proves to be fake news, I'll be blamed among other things. I won't care, not worth taking a chance a pet will be harmed.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrainwrote:

I don't know how it could happen. A friend emailed it to me. I don't know if it's old news; I can't vouch for the validity. I just passed it along to be on the safe side. I don't feed any of the brands listed so I didn't investigate it knowing posters who do will research it before accepting it. 

If it proves to be fake news, I'll be blamed among other things. I won't care, not worth taking a chance a pet will be harmed.

@occasionalrain

I appreciate you posting this, just to be on the safe side!

No "blame" on you as far as I'm concerned, since I wouldn't know to research it, if you hadn't mentioned it......which was your point.

Thank youHeart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.