Honored Contributor

Re: Peripheral Vestibular Disease in Dogs

Can you get your hands on a playpen?  Like young kids have?  She could move about and not crash into things.  It sounds like vertigo.  I'll have to go dig out a book I got at the library sale, and see if it sheds any light.  Did your vet say more about it?

Valued Contributor

Great News!!!

Gracie is doing MUCH better today!!!! Less of a head tilt, haven't noticed her eyes darting and she is circling much less--her balance is a bit better too. The vet was right--the condition is self-limiting and all we can do is try to dull the symptoms so they are manageable. We're praying that Gracie makes a full recovery--we are cautiously optimistic.

QualityGal---we discussed getting a pen for Gracie to stay in so she doesn't hurt herself, but already within less than 48 hours she has no need of it--YAY! Our vet felt Gracie has peripheral vestibular disease, which is very common in older dogs--she is being treated with steroids and a motion sickness drug. They are definitely helping.

I appreciate all of the information all of you have offered!!!! Along with your personal experiences and suggestions, of course. We are praying that Gracie continues to improve and gets back to her normal lifestyle---it's not her time to rest and for that we are grateful!!!

Bless you all, along with your furbabies!!

Honored Contributor

This is wonderful news!  Thanks for letting us know.  I hope Gracie continues to improve.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Hi GraciesMommy, glad to hear that Gracie is doing much better.  You post intrigued me, so I asked my DD (the veterinarian) about it.  She knew right away what it was and concurred with what your vet told you.  She says that it's not uncommon among older dogs and they don't yet know the cause of it.  She says that the worst cases are when a dog can no longer stand, but will roll uncontrollably on the floor.  They cannot stand, eat, drink, or control their bathroom needs.  That's when there is less hope and the elderly dog is often euthanized.  

Thankfully your Gracie is doing well.  (((hugs))) to you both!

Trusted Contributor

@Gracies Mom I just said a prayer for Gracie and wondered if there was an update, and I'm glad I checked in. This is great news. So relieved to read your message that Gracie is improving. Hooray! Keep getting better, Gracie! We are all pulling for you!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Gracie still needs everyone's prayers-----her vestibular condition is much better, however, another problem cropped up at 3am today.......

Gracie was acting very restless after dinner last night--I assumed it was a side effect from the steriods. But when we all went to bed, she was acting strange--didn't want to sleep in between us--just not like her.

At 3am I heard her fall off of our bed--my hubby put her back on the bed. She fell off two more times. She acted frantic. Hubby took her outside in our yard--she had terrible diarrhea. She would not calm down. Hubby told me to go back to bed and he stayed up with her in the living room. She had diarrhea four more times and then finally went to sleep.

When I got up, I called our vet right away. He did not feel her symptoms were from a side effect of any meds she was on--hubby brought the vet a stool sample so it could be examined. Turns out Gracie has a lot of bad bacteria and mucus in her stool---some sort of infection--did she lick or eat anything outside recently? Not that we know of, but anything is possible. The vet gave Gracie two medications--Flagyl and Amoxicillin (she has taken both before when she had intestinal infections). And to continue the steroid and motion sickness pills.

Our poor Gracie!!!!!!! Now that the vertibular condition is clearing up, she has to deal with an intestinal issue!!!!!! Right now all I want is for her to get better.

Hubby and I are wiped out--it's been a crazy week with constant vet visits and phone calls--and so many meds---not to mention the money ($700+ so far).

Please continue prayers for Gracie---our little family would greatly appreciate it!! Bless you all for your kind thoughts and prayers!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry to read about this new problem with Gracie.  Whenever my dogs have had diarrhea flagyl and antibiotics have taken care of it very quickly.  I hope they help Gracie, too.  I'm glad her vestibular condition is so much better.

-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

Hi NickNack!

Gracie is much better---her diarrhea has stopped---and her vestibular condition has just about resolved--even the slight head tilt is gone--WOOHOO!!!!

Seems that Flagyl and antibiotic is the traetment of choice for intestinal issues in dogs. I wish they made the Amoxicillin in pill form and not in capsules--it's tough getting a capsule down Gracie without her biting into it and getting the drug all over the place--except into her!

Something intestinal must be going around in dogs--another forum poster told me that her three dogs recently came down with diarrhea--and the only places they go are the vet and the groomer. I still think Gracie picked up a bad bacteria from the vet--it's the only place she's been in the last week.

Esteemed Contributor

@Gracies Mom, amoxicillin is readily available in liquid form and is adminstered by syringe.  So much easier than pilling.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Gracies Mom wrote:

Hi NickNack!

Gracie is much better---her diarrhea has stopped---and her vestibular condition has just about resolved--even the slight head tilt is gone--WOOHOO!!!!

Seems that Flagyl and antibiotic is the traetment of choice for intestinal issues in dogs. I wish they made the Amoxicillin in pill form and not in capsules--it's tough getting a capsule down Gracie without her biting into it and getting the drug all over the place--except into her!

Something intestinal must be going around in dogs--another forum poster told me that her three dogs recently came down with diarrhea--and the only places they go are the vet and the groomer. I still think Gracie picked up a bad bacteria from the vet--it's the only place she's been in the last week.

@Gracies Mom  I'm so glad that Gracie is doing so much better with both issues.  I have two friends whose dogs are having gastrointestinal problems right now.  It's strange so many are having it at the same time.

-Henry David Thoreau