Valued Contributor

Peripheral Vestibular Disease in Dogs

Has anyone ever heard of and/or had experience with a condition some older dogs acquire called peripheral vestibular disease?

My Jack Russell terrier mix was diagnosed with this scary condition two days ago--I had never heard of it--and I would like to know if anyone here has had a dog that has gone through this.

Gracie is 13 years 8 months old---thought she had a stroke or a brain tumor two days ago--symptoms were a tilted head to the left, walking in continous circles, both eyes darting quickly side-to-side and a wobbly gait--she even tips over! Rushed her to the vet---I thought for sure he would tell me that it's time to put her to rest, but he did not--he told me this condition is self-limiting and should dissipate within one to two weeks--although she might be left with a head tilt. Gracie is now taking steroids and a motion sickness drug to alleviate the dizziness and nausea. She appears a tad better today--the eye darting is much slower and less, the circling isn't as bad, although it gets worse as the day goes on--I can tell my little girl is a trooper--she is fighting the symptoms as best she can. My hubby and I are mentally and physcially exhausted--what a roller coaster--both of us were out of our minds with grief thinking that Gracie had to be put to sleep--we are starting to calm down now.

Would appreciate hearing about anyone else's experience with this horrible condition--our vet has been wonderful, but would like to hear from other dog owners who have gone through this with their fur baby.

And, of course, all prayers would be much appreciated!!!! We are NOT ready to give up on Gracie yet--she is too full of love and life!!!!!!!!!

Hugs and blessings to all!!!

GraciesMommy

Honored Contributor

Re: Peripheral Vestibular Disease in Dogs

I know this is very hard on you and your husband.  I'm so sorry this has happened with Gracie but glad the Vet recognized what it was.  I have no experience with this but wanted to say that I will keep Gracie and your family in my prayers.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I googled it and the prognosis sounds very good with most dogs making a full recovery.

Give Gracie a hug and a kiss from me out in Southern California!

https://www.seniortailwaggers.com/old-dog-vestibular-disease.html

......You look like I need a drink.....
Trusted Contributor

I went through this with my 15 year old bichon Suzie late this summer.  It was exactly as you described.  

She was sick during the night.  I woke up to find that she had thrown up and was acting strange.  Head wobbling, eyes darting.  I was so scared.  I thought she had had a stroke.

It was the middle of the night, so next morning we called the vet and brought her into the office.  He took one look at her, and knew exactly what it was, canine vestibular disease, most common in  older dogs.  He said that most dogs recover well, but may have traces of the head tilting thing.  He told us to give her a low dosage of a dramamine product, and wait it out.

She was so sick for several days, not able to eat.  She just stayed on her little bed, and we would bring her sips of water.  I think it was about 2 to 3 days before she actually got up and we gradually hand fed her small bits of chicken, etc., and carried her outside to go to the bathroom.  She could barely walk.

It took a while (maybe several weeks) but little by little she recovered.  She got her appettite back, she has a spring to her step again.  She retains a little of the head tilt, but it's very slight. 

She can run up stairs again, but is afraid to come down the stairs.  She tried once when I wasn't looking, and I think she had quite a tumble.  So, now we carry her down the stairs at all times.

I watched a  lot of youtube videos about this condition, and Suzie's story  is quite the same  as the dogs profiled there.  She has made a great improvement.

I was so terrified when we brought her in to the vet's office that day.  My husband and I were so afraid we would have to put her to sleep.  But it's just not her time yet, thank goodness.  She's enjoying life as a senior dog, despite a few problems.

Just hang in there, Gracie will probably be just fine.  Give it time.  It's really scarey, but it's definitely a condition that dogs recover from.  My thoughts will be with you.  Take care.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe you're referring to what's called "old dog disease".  I became aware of it when my 13 year old collie became a victim last May.  She exhibited the symptoms you described except it's worse in a large dog that cannot walk at all.  I had a terrible time just getting her in the car by myself; taking her outside to pee and poop was out of the question.

My vet recognized the disease instantly.  The constantly jerking eyeball is the most prominent symptom.  This gives the animal severe vertigo, so they can't stand or walk.  My vet also said the dog could probably overcome the condition in a couple weeks with in-patient care by a specialty vet, which is very expensive.  I've been that route with another dog who had an auto-immune disease.

My collie had other age-related problems; severe arthritis and dementia, incontience so I elected to have her euthanized.  She probably could have recovered from the vestibular disease at a cost of several thousand dollars, but she was already old for a collie and had other problems.

I did determine that I have no business with a large dog that I can't lift (single senior), so my latest acquisition is a mini Aussie that weighs 20lbs.  This should be an important consideration for an older person.

I hope your Gracie is able to overcome this insidious disease and soon returns to normal.  Fortunately it doesn't seem to occur often.  I'm very active with other collie owners and none had ever heard of the disease.  Please let us know how she's doing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Praying for Gracie's quick recovery. 

Valued Contributor

Thanks to all of you who have written about your experience with this condition!! I didn't think to post in this forum the other day after my Gracie was diagnosed--I thought about it today--and I KNEW I would get some very kind and wise replies. Everyone here is always so wonderful and helpful--I do appreciate the information and experiences posted!!Also, thanks to everyone for praying for my beloved Gracie--it means the world to me that so many care---I know from my experience that prayers DO work and miracles DO happen.

Bless you all!!

Regular Contributor

My sweet Ayla had it just a few months ago.  She is a 12 year old setter/pointer mix.  It  was her second bout.  This time it seemed more severe than the last but similar symptoms to what everyone describes. I would say she had  about 3 severe days where she coulnd't eat or drink.  She also had bad bladder control issues and we also had to carry her outside to go potty. It just heartbreaking to watch them go through it. Give her lots of love.  

Honored Contributor

@Gracies Mom  My dog Max had sudden onset of canine vestibular syndrome in the summer of 2007.  I noticed he was having trouble walking and immediately took him to the vet.  I could actually see his eyes darting uncontrollably in his head.  I was outta my mind so I understand where you might be emotionally right now.

The vet told me that when it's really bad a dog cannot drink or eat.  Think uncontrolled vertigo in a person - that's what Max and your Gracie felt/is feeling.

Back then, I don't know that they had the meds for it.  She told me that she could tell he was fighting it.  Putting him in a cage there was not going to do my baby any good.

Max had his own bedroom and full sized bed upstairs.  I pulled the mattress off of the box spring and after clearing furniture out of the living room, moved his mattress in the middle of the floor and remade the bed.  I blocked the stairs off with a baby gate and waited out the disease. 

My baby fought through it and I never moved the mattress back upstairs until he passed in Sept 2008.  I would not let him use the stairs without me next to him.  It never came back.

He was 14 years old, boxer/shepherd mix at the time.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Regular Contributor

I forgot to add that you would never know it now.  She's just as fiesty as ever!  We thought she would keep the head tilt but it went away too!