Esteemed Contributor

I am happy that you weren't hurt. I think if the dog was going to bite you, he would have done it immediately. I do wish people would control their dogs but we have so many that are irresponsible.

I think the dog was happy to see you and being playful. When I use to volunteer at the Humane Society, I was walking a  very large dog and he decided to jump up on me. I am 5'1" tall. He put both paws on my shoulder and licked me. That took me by surprise but I just petted him. It melted my heart. I can understand your fear. Again, I am glad you are safe.

Esteemed Contributor

I am glad that people are finally learning (and teaching their children) how to act around strange dogs.  Not running and not making direct eye contact are so important in defusing a situation. 

A dog jumping on people is just an excited dog that needs training.  I absolutely hate it when people with small dogs think it is "cute".  Am tired of my legs getting all scratched up while people tell you "he likes you", while not doing anything to stop the behavior.  That said, I have a dog that will jump all over people when he meets them.  After 5 years still working on that.  Why....because some people allow him to do it (some actually encourage) and will not correct him.  Some dogs cannot put it together that the behavior itself is bad, just that with grandma it is bad but ok with everyone else unless told to get off. 

So when meeting new people, he is kept on leash.  I need to tell them how to correct him and reward when he acts appropriately.  He is a bright boy and will usually remember who has corrected him in the past but still cannot put it together.  If by chance he would get loose, I am sure he would act like the dog described by the OP. 

The owner should have apologized for the incident and scaring you.  It would have been a great opportunity to get to know the dog and the neighbor.  When training a dog it it always nice to find friendly strangers who are will to help.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

Let me just say that I love dogs.  While I have always had cats, I still enjoy dogs.

I have one old cat, but frequently dog sit for friends, one with a Lab and one with a pug.  They are sweet and friendly. 

So, I am NOT a dog hater.

However, this morning on my return trip from my mailbox, I heard a dog barking....I could tell it was a big one, but kept on walking.  Then, through the woods came charging a very muscular dog...not sure it was a Pit Bull, but had that square type of face.  

His owner was calling for him to return, but by then, he was standing in front of me in an agitated state.  I stopped cold.  I called to her, "Please call your dog back."

After numerous attempts, I see her coming through the woods calling to the dog.  He has now jumped on me several times.  Although I was not petrified, I was fearful that things could go wrong if I took off running.

So, basically, he finally got down and returned to his owner...no comment from her.

And, I walked on home.

We live in a very wooded area and do not know our neighbors.  We rarely, if ever see each other since most still work and I am retired.

I will not make an issue of it, but I get so aggravated with people that own aggressive dogs they cannot control.

If I had a dog like that, I would make SURE he was well-trained and responded to my commands.  All I could think of is "don't move."

While I rarely walk to the mailbox, the next time I do I will have a large stick with me and will not hesitate to use it.

Not holding the dog responsible, but the owners who cannot control them.

I suggest you get a grip.  I am sure the owner was frustrated about the dog's entusiasm. 

Super Contributor

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

@Witchy Woman 

I'm thinking you should give your animal control a call, or if no animal control the police department, and give them a description of what happened, time, date, if owner was carrying leash or dog was dragging it, including a complete description of the dog and the owner (i.e. gender, short/tall, thin/heavy/muscular, hair color, etc.) while it is all fresh in your mind to have the report filed so that if it happens again to you, or even if the dog attacks someone, they will have more leverage to do something about it.  Also carry your phone with camera ready so if you see it even from a distance you can report it again as a common occurrence.  Maybe even request an officer to come out to see you so you can show them where it happened to have everything put on the report.😊

OMG.  You must really hate dogs.  I assume you have no pets.   Most dogs are not vicious and love to meet new people.  Give the dog and owner a break. 

Super Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I love dogs and have two.  But I certainly understand your fear of those who charge at you.  They scare me as well.  While I was out walking my dogs a big white one came charging at us.  I was afraid he would hurt my dogs.  But he just wanted to stare me down.

My previous neighbors had two Shar Pei dogs that were mean.  They would get out of the yard and roam the neighborhood once in a while.  One lady had a shovel handy.  Animal Control came to try and catch them but the dogs would run.  Took him a long time to catch those horrible creatures.  Long story short, those two dogs chewed through the wooden fence that separated us and came into my yard and killed my two shih tzus and my DD mini alaskan shepard.  I insisted to animal control that those two dogs be taken away for good, and they were put down.

Horrible creatures?  People make horrible creatures.  Behind a mean dog is always an owner who should never have a dog. 

Super Contributor

@dogsx3 wrote:

I understand you being afraid, i have 3 big dogs and i try to be really careful at all times. But before i put a lock on my gate,  one at times would get out. She was big, but a baby. I think maybe a note to her and explain how you feel might work and keep the peace between you and her. It's worth a try, and then if it doesn't work tell her you will call animal contol. And maybe a cheap box of milk bones for the dog....with the note, Sometimes an act of kindness is all you need.

I love your response.  Kindness?  So many people these days do not know the meaning of this word.  We all have acreage and I do not know many of my neighbors.  I had a huge dog bark and charge at me.  I called him a sill dog and 'aren't you ashamed'  He rolled at my feet, demanded a belly sratch and visits every day now to eat the left overs from my finicky cats.  A mean dog is always the result of mean people.  If you are kind to animals they will return the favor.