Respected Contributor

Why?  Her litter boxes are clean.  She is healthy, vet checked.  So here's her story.  I got Baja Fresh takeout tonight.  Left the white plastic bag on table, nice table.  Saw her going crazy i thought playing in/on it.  Thought about how i had not seen her do that before.  Fast forward an hour.  I decide to throw bag away.  I pick it up, it is wet.  I wonder why?  Get to the kitchen, the bag dripping and then catch a whiff.  ****** cat!  She peed on that bag.  Anybody else have a cat that does this?  Apparently she is not the only cat that is known to do this.  Bad Cat.

Honored Contributor

My boy passed in March, but he did similar things over the years.  My mother was visiting once and left her suitcase on the floor, he went on it.  Each time I'd talk about it with the vet when I next visited.  He didn't have much to say about it.  I learned to keep stuff off the floor though.

Frequent Contributor

My cat also wets on plastic bags, sooo weird. I just make sure to put them away.

Respected Contributor

I think it has something to do with the smell of plastic.  I had two male shih tzu's who made a beeline to anything plastic and mark it.  I'd bring in plastic bags from the grocery store and set them on the kitchen floor.  If I turned my back for a minute they both marked the bags.  Scolding didn't change their habit.

Valued Contributor

My aunt's cat peed on every guest's suitcase on the luggage rack.  She had to warn them to put the suitcase away in the closet.  He thought the guest room was his room.

Frequent Contributor

Not sure what their attraction to plastic bags is but one of my cats likes to chew on the bags. The other one could care less about them. I have to keep them away from my cat.

Honored Contributor

Re: Peeing on plastic bag!

[ Edited ]

@Shawnie wrote:

Why?  Her litter boxes are clean.  She is healthy, vet checked.  So here's her story.  I got Baja Fresh takeout tonight.  Left the white plastic bag on table, nice table.  Saw her going crazy i thought playing in/on it.  Thought about how i had not seen her do that before.  Fast forward an hour.  I decide to throw bag away.  I pick it up, it is wet.  I wonder why?  Get to the kitchen, the bag dripping and then catch a whiff.  ****** cat!  She peed on that bag.  Anybody else have a cat that does this?  Apparently she is not the only cat that is known to do this.  Bad Cat.

@Shawnie

Wow, this is a first.   Have you googled this question?

My kitty doesn't do that, but when taking our dog out for a walk, he'll make a point of peeing on anything plastic on the ground!   Go figure.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@Shawnie

Wow, this is a first.   Have you googled this question?

My kitty doesn't do that, but when taking our dog out for a walk, he'll make a point of peeing on anything plastic on the ground!   Go figure.

I did google it and found out she is not alone.  There seems to be no consensus about why it happens. There is something in the bag that stimulates the behavior people think.  I wont be leaving bags out ever, now that she has discovered the behavior.  The way she was attacking the bag i wonder if it doesnt mimic some kind of animal scent. She is 8.