Respected Contributor

My family is currently on a weight-gaining campaign for our little cat Missy. She's a REAL picky eater and most of what she likes isn't nourishing enough for her. I nearly died when I saw she was down to 8.6 lbs. from 10!!!!

Well we wracked our brains and then I came up with a plan.

I don't leave snack or treats out for her between mealtimes; I want to make sure she's good and hungry when it's time to eat.

THEN I ring a bell, pick her up (if I have to) and take her to her food dish. If she's hungry she eats; I give her about 20 minutes and if she hasnt eaten what I put out, I put it away till her next meal time.

I wasn't sure if the bell-ringing part was working till this morning. I set her breakfast down, rang the bell, and a in minute or two she came strolling out; sniffed her food, didn't like it, and walked away. I gave her some more time but it was obvious she didn't want it so I put it away.

Of course, the real point of this is that she's starting to react to the bell being rung. Cat Very Happy

We're also making notes of what she likes and doesn't like; anyone who's ever had a cat knows you can't make a cat eat what she doesn't like.

She looks like she might have gained a teeny tiny amount of weight, which would be very good news.

Honored Contributor

Re: Pavlov's got nothin' on me!

Good luck!  Sounds like you have a wonderful plan!

Our "babies" can worry us to death, can't they?