Respected Contributor

My grandparents always had a pet parakeet, so more than a decade ago I decided to get some (three) as well.

I do not believe in my pets being the only one of their species in my home, so every other animal (cat, dog) has a playmate as well. Parakeets especially require companionship, as they are flock creatures.

Little did I know my parakeets would learn how to lay eggs and raise tiny sweet little fluffy parakeet babies!

Now I know so much about parakeets, and all their crazy avian behavior!  I have a little flock now, and they chirp and sing so happily to the music on the television.  Yes, they are a lot of work, but so are all my pets.  It always sounds like Springtime in my house!

P.S. You need to have a cuttlebone available at all times for the bird.  Laying eggs depletes calcium in the body. If the eggs are too soft, they can break inside the bird or become egg-bound, major medical emergencies.  

P.S.S.  Sometimes it is better to leave an infertile egg with the bird for a while.  That way she will try to care for it and NOT lay another one.  Eventually she will know the egg is "dead."  Of course, if the egg is cracked then it is ruined already.

Honored Contributor

I had a pair of white doves for while--before kids came along--got them a tall wrought iron cage on legs and wired a nest basket on the side---they  were so messy and horrendously noisy in the mornings with their cooing and "laughing" --eventually they mated and produced eggs that I let hatch out as I had friend who wanted them. That was really fun to see--- those babies were naked and pink and just the ugliest little things-- they were so cute. But..... they kept mating and laying eggs---just couldn't let them hatch so got the eggs as soon as the were laid and tossed them outside--but then the courtin' and sparkin' kept going on--omg--so noisy---and the next time I decided to hard boil the eggs  and just let them sit on them----should have gotten fake eggs----but after awhile of this--I did find the birds a new home----no more birds!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I've always been intrigued at the thought of having a "budgie".

Are they a lot of work, and do you let them out of their cage?  Can you keep several together or are they happy by themselves?

I've always been concerned that my dog would decide to go after it and also, that in the winter the house wouldn't be warm enough.

@Sweetbay magnolia   I had Parakeets my whole life.  I now have a blue and Gold Macaw. Parakeets are a lot of fun.  If you want to train them, You need to let them be alone.  If they are with another bird, they will never want you.  Get one with a blue nose as they are the males.  They talk and are much easier to train then the females.  We got one when my kids were small and we called it Tootie after the horn on HSN.  LOL   He came out and would fly to the table if we had potatoe chips, and he would eat them right out of the bowl.

They are messy but after having this large bird, that mess is nothing.  The bad thing is that they only live about 7 years.  My Macaw is now 22 years old and could live to be 60.  If you get one and want to train it, leave the mirroe and other plastic birds out of the cage until he learns to perch and get used to you.  

You could also look up on You Tube.  Lots of information there.  They like to be covered at night even in hot weather. I used a thin fabric in Summer.  You can buy cage covers. but I made mine.

Esteemed Contributor

How fun, @BalletBabe .  Thanks for the "inspo", and info.

Can you burn candles in the house if you have a bird?  I mean, I know I can look that up, but what is your experience?

I'd love to have a beautiful bird in a pretty cage.  However, it just might be too much work for me right now.  At least the aquarium pretty much runs itself (with regular vacuuming) but now that I need carpet that thing is going to be a pain!

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

I don't think the parakeets require much care.  Fresh seed and water every day and I clean the cage maybe 2 or 3 times a week.  I do have to vacuum the carpet by the cage but for me it's so worth it.  I don't let the birds fly since I have mirrors in this room.  The cage is large about 25x18x36 so the bird can fly in the cage very well.  I tell her she flies like an eagle and then she flies to show me.  I've had the chatter of birds in the house forever and without them the house wouldn't seem like home.  I originally had 4 birds in the cage but over the years I lost them.  I do have a female in another cage in the room.  The newer bird wouldn't let the older bird eat so I had to take her out of the big cage..  So I have two cages to clean and don't even think about it.  I got a cockatiel for my daughter that was suppose to be in her room but I ended up with that too.  He lived to 15.  He was allowed out of the cage in her room.  I could be wrong but the birds that lived the longest had a lot of room to fly and climb up and down the cage.  Guess the exercise was good for them.  My biggest problem is if the power goes off.  They can't get a chill so we have a generator we run and run an extension from outside to the room and use an electric heater.  I keep them covered also at night.  I also have a light on low for the big cage and some battery candles for the other cage which is not as large. The baby bird gets seed at the bottom and then takes it to the top of the cage to eat.  She gets her exercise also.  I do have cuttlebones in both cages and some of the square calcium blocks. Lots of toys also and a mirror. 

I never really burned candles when I had the birds in the kitchen.  My kitchen and family room is open and large and once my husband retired he would open the patio door and the birds would get a draft.  I had to move them to a spare tv room which I use.  Years ago my husband made a duplex birdcage.  He made it out of plexiglass and had a divider in the center with a small door so we could let the birds play and then go into their own space.  I wish I still had it but he got rid of it.  I can say that now the birds cost a lot more and the price of cages is really high.  

I have a dog and he would go after the birds if they were out.   I always had a dog and at times I had 4 but lost them over the years.  Now one is good.  Just had him fixed and 2 teeth pulled and wow the price of vets have gone up.  

Esteemed Contributor

So interesting!  I've often wondered about keeping birds.

I had a neighbor that used to bring his canary (in the cage) out into his garden while he worked.  One day when the windows of the house were open a cat got in.  Needless to say, my neighbor was devastated when he found the pile of feathers.

I know someone now who is an avid reptile collector.  He's got a beautiful collection and he's so expert at keeping them, that some just live freely inside the house, like on ficus trees.

Enjoy your birds, @kismet.  I know what you mean about the things we get used to.  My home wouldn't be complete without at least a few fish.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

How fun, @BalletBabe .  Thanks for the "inspo", and info.

Can you burn candles in the house if you have a bird?  I mean, I know I can look that up, but what is your experience?

I'd love to have a beautiful bird in a pretty cage.  However, it just might be too much work for me right now.  At least the aquarium pretty much runs itself (with regular vacuuming) but now that I need carpet that thing is going to be a pain!

@Sweetbay magnolia   I always burned candles and had no issues.  To me a Aquarium is more work.  LOL   I love the chirping sounds they make.  They come in so many colors.  

Respected Contributor

I am an experienced Parrot owner. Female birds can lay eggs without a mate. I have had a few do that. Cockateils tend to lay eggs. You just have to watch her and make sure she does not get egg-bound I lost my first Cockatiel to egg binding. I would purchase a cuttlebone and scrape some of it into her food with a butter knife That will help her with her calcium level. Make sure you don't encourage mating behavior. If she leans forward with her butt up, don't pet her or pay attention. 

Right now, my birds get a little hormonal because of spring. I have a 1 year old Red Belly Parrot female and I pray she will not lay eggs. Only because of the complications that the egg laying can cause. 

Honored Contributor

I had a parakeet as a kid and he lived a little more than 9 years. He was a pale pale turquoise blue with white wings. He was a part of the family and we would let him out at night (and put the cat out) and he'd fly all over the room and visit each one of us.