Trusted Contributor

Pancreatitis in Dogs

[ Edited ]

Back in November, I adopted a dog from the city animal shelter. They told me he was dropped off there almost starved to death - a walking bag of bones. I took hIm to the vet for shots and check up and he tested positive for heartworms. So, this one dog has really had a bad time of it. He was given heartworm meds to prevent any further heartworm infestation, but, the vet wanted to wait 6 months to give him the treatment to kill the worms in his heart. He is a black lab and has been doing well, gaining weight, and looking heathier.  So, about a month ago, he stops eating and starts throwing up. We go back to vet and he is diagnosed with pancreatitis. Treatment was antibiotics and something for nausea. They put him on Purina ProPlan low-fat EN gastroenteric canned and dry food. Well, once we got the nausea under control, he started eating again, loving that food. I' m sort of holding my breath afraid something else may go wrong or thinking the pancreatitis may flair up again. I'm dreading.the treatment.for the heartworms. I've heard the dogs need to be kept from getting excited, no running or jumping around for 6 weeks. That may be almost impossible!

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

I had a little terrier mix with pancreatitis.  He did fine as long as he had absolutely no fat, including no bones.  He got in the garbage a couple of times, got things he shouldn't have had and got sick.  He lived to a ripe old age but had to be watched very closely because he was a foodie.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Sapphiregal Pancreatitis comes in varying degrees.  Sounds like your poor guy wasn't used to any good (or any at all) diet.  He could "grow out" of this phase.

Best of luck with the heartworm.  That's a nasty disorder.  

Don't ever think the "what else"- Just enjoy every minute you have.  They're such loyal companions and we have them for such a short time.  With your good care and common sense he'll be fine.  

Trusted Contributor

I'm so glad your fur ball loves his food. My Maggie has pancreatitis too but I have to be inventive, she doesn't like any of the prescription foods. For bad bouts of P., I give her boiled chicken, she loves that. I also give her dog foods from Chewy w/very low fat. You can buy prescription treats or find some from there w/low fat. Wishing you best of luck with the heartworm.

Super Contributor

Our Gracie has pancreas issues. Must have low fat diet and I mix prescription enzymes in her food everyday to help digest and absorb nutrients from her food.

Super Contributor

@Sapphiregal wrote:

Back in November, I adopted a dog from the city animal shelter. They told me he was dropped off there almost starved to death - a walking bag of bones. I took hIm to the vet for shots and check up and he tested positive for heartworms. So, this one dog has really had a bad time of it. He was given heartworm meds to prevent any further heartworm infestation, but, the vet wanted to wait 6 months to give him the treatment to kill the worms in his heart. He is a black lab and has been doing well, gaining weight, and looking heathier.  So, about a month ago, he stops eating and starts throwing up. We go back to vet and he is diagnosed with pancreatitis. Treatment was antibiotics and something for nausea. They put him on Purina ProPlan low-fat EN gastroenteric canned and dry food. Well, once we got the nausea under control, he started eating again, loving that food. I' m sort of holding my breath afraid something else may go wrong or thinking the pancreatitis may flair up again. I'm dreading.the treatment.for the heartworms. I've heard the dogs need to be kept from getting excited, no running or jumping around for 6 weeks. That may be almost impossible!

Unfortunately a lot of flea and heart worm products can cause pancratitis.  There have also been a lot of problems with dog food. 

Denosyl and milk thistle are excellent in helping the pancreas and liver heal.  Thank you for giving a shelter animal a second chance.  I had a very sick cat with liver failure.  My vet had given up.  I had called Cornell and they recommended Milk Thistle and fluids.  He was on deaths door and a week later he was able to leave his bed and continued to recover.  Getting them to eat again helps win the battle. 

Valued Contributor

Solid gold weight control chicken dry dog food, natures recipe chicken rice barley canned food, boneless skinless chicken breasts in a pot with celery parsley carrot rice chopped spinach boiled and use as a dry food topper, and treats can be dried apple rings and dried chicken breasts.  Key is almost no fat and keep diet the same each day...nothing extra that is off the diet.

Honored Contributor

@Sapphiregal     My Golden Lola came down with the same symptoms as your dog... they"suspected"pancreatitis... so we started her on a special lowfat food and diet... she got better for about a year... felt great... then started not to eat again... and throwing up. Had to have a bunch more tests done.... they came back as liver cancer.

I suspect that she had the liver cancer back with her first episode of vomiting...  

I guess why I am saying this is that is your dog continues later to have the same symptoms... maybe have a very through checkup and a sonigram to see if anything else is going on that just X ray will not pick up.  Catching the cancer sooner if that is what Lola had a year prior might have given us time to give her therapy and extend her life... but by the time we found out her entire liver was consumed with the cancer...it really was too late to save her. 

Occasional Contributor

My dog has major stomach issues too. None of the dog food seemed to calm his dugestive problems. We tried sooo many different dog foods. The low-fat canned version wasn't helping either.

Our vet recommended Justfoodfordogs.com. It pricey but seems to work better. I stumbled upon their DIY kit. I now cook Cod and veggies for my dog and add the nutrients from the DIY packet. It's a game changer , for sure!