Valued Contributor

I forgot to ask if your kitty is an Exotic Shorthair?

Esteemed Contributor

I've always thought Henry was a beauty and this artist really captured his look purrfectly.

(sorry for the corny joke; I couldn't resist).  That is a lovely painting!

I have several oil paintings of some of my dogs and none of them are covered with glass (all professionally framed).  Some are quite old and they are all in perfect condition.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Painting Of Henry

[ Edited ]

@NickNack

Oh, I love that sweet round head.  Henry looks just Grand, as though he has his portrait painted every day.  *** Thank you for changing the name!  Looked at the painting and saw the name and thought but...but...but that’s HENRY!  It has to be, my head was spinning.  Your Henry is famous, he has fans he may never meet. HeartHeartHeart

What a treasure to have. 

My MIL did wonderful pastels, including two of our fur family.  

So glad to have them.

I’ve never seen an oil with glass either.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Aww, @NickNack, how remarkably life-like from such a talented artist.  You definitely picked the best photo of Henry to use!

Could you please post Frankie's as well?  It also captures her unique essence. 8)  Thanks.  

Respected Contributor

@NickNack - What a wonderful portrait of Henry!   He looks like my Exotic Shorthair cat, except mine has white hair with tan markings.  

May I ask the name of the company on Etsy that did the portrait of Henry?  Did they do the portrait from a photo you downloaded to them?

Honored Contributor

@NycVixen...      8)

Honored Contributor

Re: Painting Of Henry

[ Edited ]

That is beautiful!

I was thinking I would put it on a canvas frame (the kind that are just the painting on canvas, no outside frame). That would just show the beautiful painting.

I don't know if you can only do that with a picture though.

Of course, I'm sure whatever you decide will look great!

Thanks for showing us Henry in all his glory!

like this~Pictures On Canvas - Hiqhest Quality, Lowest Cost

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Libbylady wrote:

As a picture framer for 43 years, I do, of course, recommend a custom framer for this beautiful painting!

Glass is not needed for an oil painting.  In fact, depending on the pain used there can be a build-up of "off gassing" under the glass, even when spacers are used.

I would ask your framer to show you frames that accept a liner frame.  This is usually a fabric covered frame between the painting and the frame.  Liners are a visual break that act much as matting does for paper-borne art.  Some frames have a liner effect built right into their design.

I love this piece!!!

Thank you so much @Libbylady!  I think I'll take your and @Annabellethecat66's suggestion and get it custom framed.  Since the artist told me it wasn't completely dry I think I'll wait at least two weeks to take it.  I like the look of a liner frame, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

I've always thought Henry was a beauty and this artist really captured his look purrfectly.

(sorry for the corny joke; I couldn't resist).  That is a lovely painting!

I have several oil paintings of some of my dogs and none of them are covered with glass (all professionally framed).  Some are quite old and they are all in perfect condition.  

Thank you @Citrine1.  I have a small 6" x 6" painting of Frankie, my French Bulldog, and also one that size of Nick (my Japanese Chin that died several years ago).  I also have a larger painting of two of my cats and another one of three of my dogs and one of my cats together.  I love them all, and they are all still in great condition, too.  My larger ones were custom framed, and my smaller ones are not.  I do think I'll get this one custom framed though.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@NickNack

Oh, I love that sweet round head.  Henry looks just Grand, as though he has his portrait painted every day.  *** Thank you for changing the name!  Looked at the painting and saw the name and thought but...but...but that’s HENRY!  It has to be, my head was spinning.  Your Henry is famous, he has fans he may never meet. HeartHeartHeart

What a treasure to have. 

My MIL did wonderful pastels, including two of our fur family.  

So glad to have them.

I’ve never seen an oil with glass either.

Thank you @Drythe.  I'm flattered that so many people here remember Henry's name!  I can't believe I originally put Nick's name.

-Henry David Thoreau