Honored Contributor

Re: Painting Of Henry

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

It's beautiful!  I love it.  Just a suggestion but you might think about having it professionally framed.

I used to do a lot of very fine (small stitches) cross stitches and I've both framed them myself and had them professionally framed.

I also have a friend who does oil and watercolor paintings (she even makes a living at it).

She made me understand the importance of keeping any dust off of the painting.  I learned about 'spacers' put between the glass and the picture/painting itself.

A professional framer could tell you if you even should frame it or if so the best way to do it.  

I know you'd want it to last forever.  I would think in this case since you invested in the cost of having it done, you might want to talk to a professional framer.  

If nothing else you could 'pick their brain' so to speak.  

Just a suggestion.  I love the way the artist managed to catch the little twinkle in Nick's eyes....that little twinkle full of mischief!

@Annabellethecat66  I usually do have things professionally framed. I just thought I might be able to find a nice 8" x 8" frame.  I thought you were never supposed to put glass over oil paintings, but maybe I'm wrong.  I do want the framing to be special.  I titled the thread incorrectly.  Nick was my dog that died over three years ago.  Henry is the cat that I had painted.  I can't believe I did that.  I corrected it though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Painting Of Henry

[ Edited ]

@kitcat51 wrote:

I thought your pets name were Henry (cat) & Frankie (dog)...good grief my memory is just going to pot. Anyway, what a lovely & sweet painting...Enjoy!

@kitcat51  You're right.  His name is Henry.  Nick was my dog that died over three years ago.  Someone pointed it out to me a couple of posts up, and I changed the title in the original post.  I can't believe I called him Nick.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Your painting is just beautiful.  Your Etsy artist did a marvelous job.  She seems to have captured Henry's kitty aloofness.  Good choice!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@NickNack,

Beautiful painting of Henry!

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d6/3a/da/d63ada3a944712b7b6d824c2ff769173.jpg

Honored Contributor

I think generally that's true (about glass over oil) as it can cause major problems.

However, the thimble of knowledge I used to know....way back....I learned there are always new 'things' coming out, sometimes rules change and if I were you, just to be sure I'd ask several people.

Esteemed Contributor

That pic is gorgeous!

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack, I love it. Henry looks beautiful. 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack The picture of Henry is fabulous. I would like to do the same of my cats. Thanks for sharing.

Super Contributor

That is a beautiful painting of Henry!

Valued Contributor

As a picture framer for 43 years, I do, of course, recommend a custom framer for this beautiful painting!

Glass is not needed for an oil painting.  In fact, depending on the pain used there can be a build-up of "off gassing" under the glass, even when spacers are used.

I would ask your framer to show you frames that accept a liner frame.  This is usually a fabric covered frame between the painting and the frame.  Liners are a visual break that act much as matting does for paper-borne art.  Some frames have a liner effect built right into their design.

I love this piece!!!