Valued Contributor
Kiki settled down after lunch and had a couple two hour naps. Each time she got up, she had a good sized pee and it was clear of blood. But I feel so bad for her because her bladder must start to cramp (as they said it would) and she revisits the boxes to pee a little more each time. Then it's hard for her to settle again.
Esteemed Contributor

@lynne6was7 

As long as she's not hiding grim the pain, it sounds like she's where she should be. I know you feel for her, I would, too. She knows you're with her and taking care of her.

If in doubt about the discomfort or cramping, you could always put a call into the vet.

We're still sending prayers that her recovery remains smooth. Thanks for the update!

Valued Contributor
I did just call her vet. She said it is cramping and shouldn't last more than another day. She said I should give her another gabapentin. She just flopped down and appreciated some petting.
Esteemed Contributor

That's good...it sounds like the extra medicine will get her through this challenging period.

Valued Contributor
She came for pets this morning and asked for breakfast, which she ate well. But we're still struggling with the bladder cramping. It took her a couple hours to settle for a nap. I wish she could #2. I think she would be more comfortable. She's used to going before bed each evening. She had a small one upon arriving home Tuesday evening but nothing since even though she's been eating a lot. She could use one of Schmoo's songs from dear Beauty Junkie.
Esteemed Contributor

@lynne6was7 

If she's backed up and cramped up, the gabapentin might not be doing the job. I'm on gabapentin and it's primarily used for nerve pain, but isn't necessarily as good for other types of pain. It never worked for our Frankie and other cats. What about a very low dose of buprenex? You can give it orally on the gums. I'd call the vet and report what's going on. With better pain control, she may relax and be able to do #2.

In the meantime, I'll begin to write Kiki a poo tune!

Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Thank you. Buprenex makes Kiki hyper vigilant. She's had it after her dental surgeries, and after this surgery. And she also had an injection at the ER vet last Friday after they diagnosed the migration of the stones from her kidneys to her bladder. It lasts about 18 hours. She's restless, won't sleep, and she watches something - don't know if it's lights or hallucinations.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paging @Sammycat1

[ Edited ]

@lynne6was7  Maybe the dose is too high for her or the problem is its long-acting nature .

I'm talking about lower doses given by syringe (no needle) in the gum. These begin to wear off in 6 hours and are gone in 8 to 12.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I'm not Beauty Junkie, but here's a poo tune to help Kiki along, sung to the tune of "Lavender's Blue:"

Lavender’s blue, Kiki, Kiki
Lavender’s green
As your vet says, Kiki, Kiki
You must go poo.
Who told you so, Kiki, Kiki
Who told you so?
‘Twas your dear Mom, Kiki, Kiki
That told me so.

Valued Contributor
Yay, @Sammycat1 your poo tune worked wonders. Kiki is back on schedule and is very grateful. She had a restful afternoon. At one point, she stretched out long in front of the heat register and spread her toes. We call that "chicken legs" because she looks like a rubber chicken. I think, and hope, the bladder cramping is letting up.

I hope we can both sleep well tonight. We had a snowstorm today so the driveway and sidewalk had to be cleared, and the roof raked ahead of an arctic blast - for the next week! I'm waiting for, and dreading, the snowplow.
Take care and thank you. Kisses for Frankie.