Esteemed Contributor

@lynne6was7 

Prayers for your girl being sent immediately! I'm glad you felt good about it after getting more answers from your vet.

@Marpwas quite correct.  And the type of bottled water is important--and you have to check the labels on those, too. We have given our cats only spring bottled water. One of the vets in our animal hospital once recommended distilled water, but the chief vet (ours 90% of the time) said spring water is fine in this instance.

Go Kiki go! We're pulling for you, girl!

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp  Thank you for your kind words. My husband and I purposely adopt special needs kitties, and they have taught us a lot over the years.  I try to help others through them!

Honored Contributor

@lynne6was7   I will say a prayer for Kiki and her surgeon.  I hope everything goes well for her.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@lynne6was7 

Any word on Kiki?

Valued Contributor

@Sammycat1 , per her vet, Kiki did very well in the surgery.  It took about 30 minutes.  They got a late start and the vet didn't call me until about an hour ago.

Under anethesia, Kiki released a whole collection of mustard-seed-sized stones.*  She had one larger stone, but not excessively large.  All of her stones were smooth, rather than spurred, so while her bladder was irritated, it wasn't as bad as in some patients.  They flushed her bladder and removed all stones, which are being sent for analysis.

* My vet commented that I can monitor her going forward.  If she appears to be having issues with stones in the bladder, they may be able to insert a catheter to flush out the tiny stones without needing another full-blown surgery.  (She had a previous bladder stone surgery in June 2014, right before I adopted her.)

She will be coming home in about three hours.  Pain management will be my job for the next few days.  Apparently bladder pain is high on the pain scale so I'll have to stay ahead of it, but the bladder should heal quickly.  She has had a pain injection and will be going home with two medications.

Our goal going foward will be to maintain neutral PH urine.  We'll try first with diet, and hopefully not have to add medications.  I will be having a telephone consultation with an ER internist who specializes in diets for cats with calcium oxalate stones.

That's all I know right now.  I'll keep you posted.

Honored Contributor

@lynne6was7   I'm so glad the surgery went well!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@lynne6was7 - I'm not @Sammycat1, but DH is a veterinarian. I read him your first post without knowing the outcome. He said definitely surgery is the way to go. Then I saw the outcome. So happy for you that everything worked out! He says they may put her on something to acidify the urine to prevent stone formation, just as in people!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@lynne6was7 

Good news that she's through the surgery and a more complete overall plan is in place moving forward.

Keep us posted on how she's recuperating!

Valued Contributor
Kiki had a pain injection before leaving the clinic at 6PM. She's been eating and drinking well throughout the night and early morning. She was visiting the litter box about every half hour to pee. She flopped down and stretched out multiple times for pets. She had pain meds at 4:30AM, and has been sleeping for over an hour now. I dashed into the office this morning and brought home a couple projects so I can keep an eye on her.
Esteemed Contributor

@lynne6was7 

It's so good to hear that Kiki is comfortable during her recovery and that all systems are a go. You're wise to watch over her in the early part of her healing to make sure her pain control is good.

Thanks for the Kiki update and prayers for her to continue to do so well.