Honored Contributor

PSA: Female Cats and Breast Cancer

I met someone yesterday who is losing her 8-year old kitty to breast cancer. It is so sad, and I wanted to help but there was nothing I could do. So I decided to post here.

She adopted her as a kitten, but waited until she was a little over a year to get her spayed.

DH says female kittens need to be spayed at 6 months if possible. Otherwise, their risk of breast cancer increases. 

Respected Contributor

Re: PSA: Female Cats and Breast Cancer

My Kashi passed from breast cancer about 12 years ago. According to the vet, she'd already had a litter when I took her to be spayed. She was a semi feral that was hanging around where I worked. It was pretty isolated there and I think she was dumped. She was a beautiful DLH. I had surgery to have the cancer removed, but it soon came back after about 9 months, so I had  her put to sleep. She was a very sweet cat and still missed.

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom @catter70   oh that's really sad.

Is breast cancer really prevalent in female cats?   I don't know why I hadn't heard about that type of cancer for cats before.

Is there a blood test that could monitor things before it becomes a real issue?

I adopted my cat jasmine when she was 4.  She was spayed when she came to me, but I think she was older when it happened - maybe the same year or the year before I adopted her. 

Honored Contributor

@catter70 💕 So sorry....nothing worse than losing your best friend.

Esteemed Contributor

This is a pet peeve of mine @beach-mom .  All pets should be spayed and neutered at a young age to prevent all kinds of cancers.  Pet owners should educate themselves about this.  I get so annoyed with people who don't get their pets fixed (unless they plan on breeding, of course). 

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for posting @beach-mom. I volunteer and support a group that helps defray the costs of spaying and neutering of pets, and does dozens of low cost cat spay and neuter clinics each year. I'm a firm believer that every cat or dog should be spayed or neutered by the local humane society before they are adopted-it's the only way to guarantee that it is done. This is so important, for the healt and wellbeing of the animal and to help reduce the number of unwanted animals.  

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Trusted Contributor

@We rescue cats       I do volunteer work for a local animal rescue group too.  I absolutely agree with what you said about spaying/neutering.  We also host low cost spay/neuter clincs throughout the year.  Thank you for caring about all these precious animals.   

Respected Contributor

I have read that it is best that they are spayed before they experience their first "heat."  This is said to be protective against mammary tumors.

Hyacinth