Respected Contributor

Shanus, I am quite sure that Molly is well aware that Sadie is aging and slowing down, she can tell her older sister is not going to live forever.  My only suggestion is that, when the time comes, take them both to the vet and keep Molly in the room while Sadie is euthanized.  If your vet won't do it, then find a new vet!  I'm not joking!  Think about this from the dog's perspective.  Their years-long companion gets put in the car while they are left home alone, you take their buddy away, and an hour later you come home without their friend!  The dog left behind has no idea of where their friend is, of course they are going to look, search, pine and mourn!  For all the remaining dog knows, you took their buddy down the road and dumped them somewhere, took them to the pound, or some other unknown fate, and now the dog left behind has to wonder "If I make my humans mad, will they take me and dump me somewhere, too?"   The unknown is to be feared, dogs crave surety and stability.  So take Molly along with Sadie when it is her time to cross the Bridge, let them stay together and say goodbye, hopefully on a soft blanket on the floor, and let Molly see and smell that her elder sister is at peace at last, and no longer suffers the pain and indignity of her aging body.  Molly will be at peace as well, knowing her elder sister is gone and being able to say goodbye.  She might be sad and mourn in her own way, but she won't search for Sadie and worry about her.  I doubt if she will even miss a meal, being a Beagle, but she will recover from her period of mourning and be herself again much more quickly than if she did not know where Sadie had gone.

Honored Contributor

I have had many, many dogs who have lived together long term.  I've lost 4 old timers in the past 2 years.  I've never had a single dog give even the slightest indication that it missed a dog that didn't return from a trip out the front door.  There has been no grieving or searching for the missing pack member. They dont even raise their heads to look when i return home.  I think too often, people try to attribute human emotions to their pets.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have two dogs, but this is my first time having two.  One of my dogs has a disease that can cause so much pain that I am scared to death that if that times come, we will have to put her down.  

She had surgery when she was a year old that has really helped her and she is almost 7 years old.  My younger dog is 6 today.

i have done a lot of research on this because my dogs are a bonded pair.  They’re always together  and are not separated.  We even have to take both to the vet, even if only one has an appointment.

My research taught me that when one pet dies, the other one should be allowed to sniff the body.  Dogs have a different scent when they pass and the other dog will realize what happened.

when one dog just disappears, the other one has no idea where their friend is.  They will be sad and look for them.  In the wild animals do sniff their deceased and then they can move on too.

i haven’t ever been in this situation, but it makes sense to me.

@Carmie  I read this as well. When my daughter had to put one of her old beagles (17 yrs. old.!) down, she took his 12 yr. “brother” to see the process and sniff his passed friend. It lessened the mourning time for him, but he still wandered around looking for him for weeks and didn’t have much appetite...that’s saying a lot for a beagle!

Honored Contributor

@susan in California wrote:

@Shanus

It is such a tough time, when our dogs get to the point where we know not much time is left.

We have almost always had two dogs.

Our son would let us watch his dog (from another state) when he and his family would travel.  Now we are down to one dog.

We lost our yellow Lab a year and a half ago, and our son's dog died last March  (  that dog was like our own as well).

In both of those losses, we expected our one remaining dog to really get depressed, but she falls into the category of not being phased.

One day, while out running errands, a lady was walking a dog that looked exactly like our yellow lab. My husband and I were really happy to see this dog. We caught our breath and just laughed thinking about our wonderful dog.

In the backseat, our one remaining dog stared, turned all the way around to look at this dog.  Both my huband and I wondered what she thought.  And of course, we'll never know.

The best to you.

Your dogs look wonderful.

@Susan in California  Thank you for your input. There’s no other way to say it...a tough time for dogs and owners!

Honored Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

Shanus, I am quite sure that Molly is well aware that Sadie is aging and slowing down, she can tell her older sister is not going to live forever.  My only suggestion is that, when the time comes, take them both to the vet and keep Molly in the room while Sadie is euthanized.  If your vet won't do it, then find a new vet!  I'm not joking!  Think about this from the dog's perspective.  Their years-long companion gets put in the car while they are left home alone, you take their buddy away, and an hour later you come home without their friend!  The dog left behind has no idea of where their friend is, of course they are going to look, search, pine and mourn!  For all the remaining dog knows, you took their buddy down the road and dumped them somewhere, took them to the pound, or some other unknown fate, and now the dog left behind has to wonder "If I make my humans mad, will they take me and dump me somewhere, too?"   The unknown is to be feared, dogs crave surety and stability.  So take Molly along with Sadie when it is her time to cross the Bridge, let them stay together and say goodbye, hopefully on a soft blanket on the floor, and let Molly see and smell that her elder sister is at peace at last, and no longer suffers the pain and indignity of her aging body.  Molly will be at peace as well, knowing her elder sister is gone and being able to say goodbye.  She might be sad and mourn in her own way, but she won't search for Sadie and worry about her.  I doubt if she will even miss a meal, being a Beagle, but she will recover from her period of mourning and be herself again much more quickly than if she did not know where Sadie had gone.

@CamilleP  ITA. Thanks for your response. Should probably check w/ vet sooner than later.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have had many, many dogs who have lived together long term.  I've lost 4 old timers in the past 2 years.  I've never had a single dog give even the slightest indication that it missed a dog that didn't return from a trip out the front door.  There has been no grieving or searching for the missing pack member. They dont even raise their heads to look when i return home.  I think too often, people try to attribute human emotions to their pets.

@Kachina624  Yes. I think of my beagles as my children since I got them after the kids left home and were living on their own. Everyone thought I was nuts to get a dog then...that old joke about the freedom when the kids leave and the dogs dies...I felt the house was in need of a dog since I’d had one all my life. This is my first rodeo having two!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: PREPARING YOUNGER DOG

[ Edited ]

@Shanus@CamilleP, It is CamilleP's post that prompts this reply.

When it was time for my yellow Lab to go, we had the vet come to the house.  He can with his assistant.  We had him give our Lab something to make her sleep before she was euthanized.  I put her favorite blanket down and she went to sleep in my arms.  Never a troubling moment in the process except for our tears which we shed quietly.  The vet took her to be cremated.

I will certainly do this for our chocolate Lab as well.  The vet's place is a place is an anxiety raiser for the chocolate Lab.  She is almost 11 now.  I can't imagine stressing her out at that time in her life.  We are fortunate to have vets that will do this.  It is our parting gift to our loyal companions.

Best wishes @Shanus.  It's a tough one to deal with.  Your dogs look sweet!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Shanus@CamilleP, It is CamilleP's post that prompts this reply.

When it was time for my yellow Lab to go, we had the vet come to the house.  He can with his assistant.  We had him give our Lab something to make her sleep before she was euthanized.  I put her favorite blanket down and she went to sleep in my arms.  Never a troubling moment in the process except for our tears which we shed quietly.  The vet took her to be cremated.

I will certainly do this for our chocolate Lab as well.  The vet's place is a place is an anxiety raiser for the chocolate Lab.  She is almost 11 now.  I can't imagine stressing her out at that time in her life.  We are fortunate to have vets that will do this.  It is our parting gift to our loyal companions.

Best wishes @Shanus.  It's a tough one to deal with.  Your dogs look sweet!  LM

@Lilysmom  😘

Honored Contributor

None of my dogs grieved for the loss of other doggie pals. Not sure why. None of them were siblings or raised together as pups. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

Similar to @DiAnne, I had 2 dogs 5 years apart.  The older one died at home, but the younger one, not the sharpest knife in the drawer but a wonderful girl and companion, pined for months, until I found a Sheltie pup at a dog show. The breeder didn't want her bred, born with a heart murmer, and I'd always wanted a Sheltie, so we got her for nothing but the offer of a good home and the promise to have her spayed.

Well, my remaining dog perked right up! She was like a new dog!  When she got old and had to be put to sleep, tho, the Sheltie didn't miss her at all. I guess, like humans, all dogs are individuals.