Honored Contributor

Sadie will be 13 in a few months. Over the last few days, she's had difficulty coming back up the steps from her doggie door. Her back legs seem weak...maybe arthritis. Took her to the vet yesterday & they kept her to do blood work re: her Cushing which could be the cause & meds need adjustment. 

Last nite Hubby and son (living w/ us several months) built a wooden ramp covered w/ outdoor carpet over the stairs. She's looking at this new strange thing in the yard & we're using her kibble (one of us outside the other at the doggie door) to coax her up the ramp & through the "flap". So cute that Molly's trying to help teach teach her by going up & down the ramp & looking back to see if Sadie is catching on. 

Honored Contributor

We had to also build a ramp for our last 2 in their declining years, due to difficulty going up and down stairs to our back yard.

Best thing we could've done!

Sadie will catch on, you know what they say about teaching 'old' dogs new tricks, LOL!

It can be done, but it just takes a little more time!

Hugs to Sadie!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Thanks @KingstonsMom.  I'll be working w/ her this morning. Beagles will do anything for food!!!

Esteemed Contributor

To her benefit, that she is relatively small and compact.

My two old (gone) coonhounds were 75 and 100 pounds, respectively, and that age-related and progressive lack of mobility was just not solveable.  We had a vet come to the house because they could no longer get in the car (and there was no way to lift them into it without causing greater harm).

Luck to you.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia. Thanks for kind thoughts from Sadie.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Thanks @KingstonsMom.  I'll be working w/ her this morning. Beagles will do anything for food!!!

@Shanus

I hear ya', LOL!

Try a 'special' treat such as a piece of hot dog, cooked chicken, lunch meat, etc. instead of her regular kibble.

Kingston (our current) did so good with his training for the 'special' treats! Our trainer taught us that and it worked like a charm!

Just boil a boneless chicken breast and cut up into small pieces if you want.

Whatever 'special' treat you use, put a piece in your hand while she's at the bottom of the ramp and let her smell it.

When she smells it and acts interested, slowly back up the ramp, keeping the treat where she can smell it and she'll progress forward for that treat, without even realizing it!

Older dogs are like us and resist anything 'new' without a special incentive, LOL!

Good luck and keep us posted!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom. I have the chicken breasts cooling on the counter now. It's just so pitiful seeing her try to do the stairs & she can't get her back legs to hold the her weight.

Another decade, someone will be helping me off the sofa w/ special treats. Lol. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus That is so sad.I hope that the vet can give some meds to help with the pain.I couldnt watch my little one struggling with pain without feeling pain in my heart.Getting old just stinks.

I think that is really sweet of your son and husband to build a carpeted ramp.I hope you are successful teaching the old dog her new trick soon.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@KingstonsMom. I have the chicken breasts cooling on the counter now. It's just so pitiful seeing her try to do the stairs & she can't get her back legs to hold the her weight.

Another decade, someone will be helping me off the sofa w/ special treats. Lol. 

@Shanus

LOL!Heart Me and you both!

Respected Contributor

HA! My special treat will be caviar on a cracker! Here,Granny, Granny!  C'mon Sadie, We're all thinking encouraging thoughts for you!  Your family are all pulling for you girl!  you might want to look at dog slings to help support her up and down the stairs/ramp as she progressses.  My darling  Driffy did OK on the flats but not taking stairs in his advanced years.  The little butt sling helped us help him up and down then off he'd go, doin' his own thing.