Honored Contributor

POLL: BEST UNSCENTED CAT LITTER?

[ Edited ]

I know we've discussed this before, but since old threads tend to get poofed, I'm starting a new one.  Unscented only.   I would appreciate any kitty owner's iput and experience here.....

My favorite cat litter has been dropped by Walmart and the only times I've found it have the price is jacked up more than 800%, so I'm starting from scratch to research.  (I'd been using a mix of 2/3 World's Best and 1/3 Mimi Litter, but the Mimi Litter is no longer available).  

Anyway, I've been in a few stores, reading labels, and am a bit fuzzy on the variations.   Tidy Cat  has several types, but the labels all seem to claim pretty much the same thing with the only difference being weight of package.   With Arm & Hammer, you can't always tell on the box whether the litter has a scent or not.   Fresh Step has several types, but I have no experience with this brand.  Open to other brands.

I've also googled a couple "best rated unscented litter"  searches, but find odd contradictions.  

So ........    what feedback can you offer?   The good, the bad, and the ugly  (waste of money) .....   

TIA!

Tink  

Honored Contributor

Re: POLL: BEST UNSCENTED CAT LITTER?

I used to use Sweat Scoop but stopped because for some reason something changed and I was constantly having a film of orangish dust everywhere.

Ever since I've used World's Best (Unscented) Multi-Cat.  Have had very good luck with it and I get it at Petco, having them match the online price (which is always better).  For a while they offered free shipping on it, but that's gone now.

I tried Lightweight Fresh Step, when Petco did a free bag of it to Rewards customers.  I hated it.  HATED it.  It tracked everywhere and just seemed to cling to their paws and fur.

I also will never used clay litter (check for bentonite; lethal to cats, if they ingest it).

Best of luck finding something new.

Respected Contributor

I use Scoop Away Unscented Super Clump.  I prefer the clumping cat litter.  My Walmart doesn't carry the unscented of this brand, which is all I will use.  I get mine at Petsmart.  Sometimes it's on sale.  This past week, and it might still be good today, Petsmart had a deal to buy any bagged cat food and any cat litter was half price.  Good luck.  I don't know why unscented is so hard to find.      

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

I use Scoop Away Unscented Super Clump.  I prefer the clumping cat litter.  My Walmart doesn't carry the unscented of this brand, which is all I will use.  I get mine at Petsmart.  Sometimes it's on sale.  This past week, and it might still be good today, Petsmart had a deal to buy any bagged cat food and any cat litter was half price.  Good luck.  I don't know why unscented is so hard to find.      

@smoky22

My vet told me to never use fragranced cat litter, really not good for them, but companies don't catch on .....   go figure.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Fresh Step Ultra Unscented.  The Lightweight Unscented doesn't get good reviews, but the Ultra does.  The Fresh Step doesn't seem to track as much as the Arm & Hammer did when I used it years ago.

I don't know why companies make so many scented litters and very few unscented.  Cats don't like scented litters.  When I got Henry I asked what kind of litter he was used to.  They told me and mentioned that it would make my house smell so good.  I knew immediately I wouldn't buy it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I would never use a scented cat litter.  As my vet said a long time ago - "Scented cat litters are for humans, not cats."  Why add an allergen into your cat's llitter box?  Keep the litterbox clean, change it regularly and you shouldn't have a problem.

I have to laugh though.  Every single time I clean the cats' litter boxes (I have four cats), my youngest, adorable, two-year old boy Tabby, jumps in and does his business while I'm cleaning them!  It's as if he's got this idea that that's his "job".  He cracks me up and I simply wait till he's finished, then carry on.

If by some slim chance, he doesn't realize I'm cleaning them, he'll come racing in at the last second and jump in!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Good luck on that....I have yet to find a really good one.

I've tried just about every one of them (the clay one's).  My girl cat is weird and I know she wouldn't use anything other than the clay one's.

They all get as hard as a rock.  All of those commercials are right!  I've bought that one that slides out easily (supposedly).

I never saw what it did.  I bought it for my cat sitter to use while I was in rehab last year having my knees replaced.

She said, "Don't ever buy that stuff again!  It's terrible".  So I took her at her word.  She is the Vet's nurse, so she knows animals.

Respected Contributor

I use Dr. Elsey's Ultimate cat litter for my kitty.  This is a clumping cat litter that was recommended.  I tried Tidy Cat when my kitty was just a kitten, but I found it too dusty, and it made me cough.  I'm sure it's a fine cat litter, but it didn't work for me.

Valued Contributor

Tidy Cat just came out with Free and clean unscented litter.My local store,Kroger,gave me some $3 ecoupons so I tried it. It has no odor and I find it works well.They also have a brand called Luvsome that I really like too. It doesn't state unscented but no smell out of the container.I do not like Arm and Hammer nor Fresh step.But that's just my experience. I have had indoor kitties for over 30 years.I switched from clay about 10 years ago when my male got a UTI. My kitties have no litter pan issues so if they are happy,I'm happy.

HTH

Honored Contributor

One thing to be careful with on the clay litters is the shape of the pieces ... some have rather sharp edges.  I never thought about a litter needing a "soft footing", but little paws are delicate, and this is a concern for many owners.