Regular Contributor

Re: PLEASE TELL: How Do You...

Gee, I guess I didn't realize how lucky we are that our girl is so not fussy.  She takes Cosequin DS Plus MSM Joint Supplement which is just a plain round chewable tablet.  She happily takes it plain and chomps it down.  Sometimes she just swallows it and I give her another because I think it's supposed to be chewed up to be effective?  If I have to give her a real pill or capsule, which we haven't had to in over 2 years, then I buried it inside a bite of sweet potatos that we cook especially for her.

She is our world.  Some things are especially easy with her.  Some not so much.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme 

I would just give it to mine any way he would take it on any given day.  Giving him any pill or even liquid in a syringe was like a fight to the death.  And he was only a 16lb. Silky Terrier!  He would find any pill in anything I tried to hide it in.  By the time I was done I felt like I had gone 10 rounds with a bear & I needed a shower!  And he absolutely hated the Duralactin canine joint chews his vet wanted him on.

I suggest staying away from pork (ham) as my vet did not recommend pork because it can cause pancreatitis.  I used all beef hot dogs, turkey, roast beef, mild cheese...just whatever I could get him to take the pill that day...usually after trying 1-2 choices.  He loved vegetables so I even hid some small pills in broccoli florets until he got wise to that!

Does he eat any table food after you are finished or given as a special treat.  He might try that if he thinks he is getting your food from the table...i.e. wrap in some steak, chicken, etc.?  Some will eat anything if they see it come from your plate on the table...little brats!  Lol!   Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @Scorpio1971 !

I could feel your pain as you described giving your furbaby meds - great desription - and I could certainly relate to it!

I didn't realize pork was NG for our furbabies.  Thank you so much for that info.  Made pork chops last week and he loved them.  I will give them to my cousin when I visit on Thanksgiving.  I seldom eat meat.

My boy, an Amstaff Cocker is around 60lbs.  He's much stronger than I - duh - so I do more begging a/k/a enticing!Woman LOL  And he LOVES veggies!  Tonight, I made mashed potatoes and fishsticks, both our favorites.  I made a little mashed potatoe ball with the med in the middle and placed fishstick pieces around it:  he loved it!! even had seconds!!  and, he ate his med with no complaints!!!!!Woman Wink  Guess I'll start employing mashed potatoes and broccoli or something and hide the med inside!

Thank you again for you advice, particularly the pork thing!  Won't do that again!

Honored Contributor

My daughter puts things in pumpkin something or peanut butter I think.

She lives in Colorado.  I'm telling you people in Colorado love their dogs.

She takes her dog everywhere.  They give the dog treats, etc.

That's the only grandbaby I'm going to get from her.  I'll take what I can get.

Her name is Luna Lee and she is amazing!  Like her Mom.

Esteemed Contributor

@mrssweetiebear 

Your girls sounds like a sweetie.  Whenever I feel the "not so much", I realize it's my parents in Heaven giving me a little taste or payback!Woman Wink

Frequent Contributor

@eddyandme  While reading a recent dog magazine, someone suggested using a miniature marshmallow to put the pill in. DH also used to put peanut butter on bread and dampen it with the pill inside. We lost out little poodle last week, but she absolutely loved the miniature marshmallows. I know that sweets are not good for dogs, but would try this if all else failed.

Esteemed Contributor

Luna Lee sounds like a sweet girl.  And, I'm sure, she's got her grandmother wrapped around her little paw, @Annabellethecat66 !

Valued Contributor

@eddyandme 

So glad medicine time went well for you tonight!  Whatever will work for that day is what I did.  Sometimes he was on a couple different meds a couple times a day.  Was so exhausting to try to get into him with him being sick.  Sounds like some of Mommy's table food may be the way for you to go!...at least for tonight...LOL!  When vet told me to try hotdogs he specifically said not the ones with pork...only beef and he gave me that reason so just wanted to pass on.  Maybe some vets are ok with some pork...you could always check with yours too.  

This was my 16lb terror of a terrier that provided me with many medicine battles.  LOL!  Your Amstaff Cocker is considerably larger & I cannot envision going into a medicine battle with him! ❤

20180311_194733816.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, I'm so very sorry for your loss, @1920712 .  And, thank you for being so kind and thoughful to help me with my problem.

I feel your pain.  And though it still horrible without your girl, she is with you, watching you, snuggling you - you'll feel her in time.  

I always say love never dies, it joins us together forever.  Realize that this horrible pain you're feeling equals the special love you shared.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

He's adorable, @Scorpio1971 , so loving and kind!  Je's a happy, special soul!

My boy came to me on tons of meds - every twelve hours - and never complained.  But then he was timid and now he's loving and outgoing - in a much better place.  So, I'll do the med battle - bribing, begging, pretending to cry (only worked once!), but think the hiding in food will work the best!