Esteemed Contributor

Re: PLEASE TELL: How Do You...

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@eddyandme 

Don't fight it.

As long as he'll eat it wrapped in lunch meat or cheese, stick with that and be grateful you got it into him, that may be the best you're ever gonna get.

You're right, @KingstonsMom .  Just got to accept it is what it is - which will eliminate a lot of frustration...thanx.

Esteemed Contributor

Just putting it on food, even wrapped in sandwich meat doesn't work, @NickNack .  Believe it or not, he'll unwrap the med and eat everything else!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanx, @x Hedge !  Gonna try the liverwurst - is it sod at the deli?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme 

I laughed when I saw "liverwurst" because someone suggested that for my cat.

I picked mine up at the deli counter at the local Food Lion.

Need to say, he wouldn't even get near the plate.  It's soft so you could bury the pill in it.  He may still dig it out.

I know someone suggested peanut butter upthread.  That's what my SIL was using before I gave her the peanut butter pill pockets.

Honored Contributor

My little dog who just passed would take her pills with a dab of peanut butter.

My surviving dog does not want to take pills and it is a battle of the wits.  Some pills she will take with PB, some I have to dab PB on a treat and glue the pill on.  Some I give wrapped in meat, cheese or bread.  Often I will give her a big bite of something she likes, then hide the pill in the second big bite  which she will gulp down. If the pill smell is on my hands, she knows the pill is hidden in the treat, so I wash my hands before I give it to her.  Seems to work sometimes.

She doesn't like pill pockets.  I am getting a shipment of fish oil this week that I am supposed to add to her food.  I hope that goes well.

It can be a struggle.  Our pets are not dummies; they have us figured out.

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry for your loss @Carmie .  They remain in our hearts and watch over us - love never dies.Heart  In fact I think Jade is teaching Eddy her tricks!  But, love them both; she's training him 'cause, I believe, she's the one who got us together!

As far as what you're experiencing with your other furbaby, I say ditto!  We're going through the same things!Woman LOL  Guess we'll just have to hang in there and hope!

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@eddyandme 

I laughed when I saw "liverwurst" because someone suggested that for my cat.

I picked mine up at the deli counter at the local Food Lion.

Need to say, he wouldn't even get near the plate.  It's soft so you could bury the pill in it.  He may still dig it out.

I know someone suggested peanut butter upthread.  That's what my SIL was using before I gave her the peanut butter pill pockets.

Thanx, @Witchy Woman , I'll try the deli.  Hope Eddy eats it 'cause he won't eat soft dogfood, although he'll eat soft 'people' food - especially ice cream!!!!!  Another idea, I'll sneak the pill in ice cream!

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme   Thank you for being kind.  My husband and I have having a difficult time over losing our little one.  She was always jumping into our laps about every 30 minutes or so for hugs and kisses, then would keep busy for the next half hour.  I have never seen a more affectionate dog.  She did like her pills though....no problems.

My older one is a PIA when it comes to pills and she is super intelligent and stubborn. I think she spits her pills out because she figured out a way to get more treats. It does get frustrating.  Sometimes she has had  a half a dozen treats and I am still holding the pills. She is probably laughing at me because she trained me so well.

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme   I make doggie ice cream in my vitamix, but you could make it with a regular mixer or by hand.

Take overripe bananas, non-fat plain greek yogurt (do not use flavored ones), and natural peanut butter.  Be sure to use nothing with the sugar substitutes - those are not good for dogs. 

Blend together and pour into freezer trays (I use the silicone one so easy to get out).  They love it especially during summer. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

Thanx, @CAcableGirl2 .  Eddy loves ice cream and yogurt, even F#age (can't spell it out 'cause mods will remove this brandname).  I often dip strawberries or apple slices in the yogurt.

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@eddyandme   I make doggie ice cream in my vitamix, but you could make it with a regular mixer or by hand.

Take overripe bananas, non-fat plain greek yogurt (do not use flavored ones), and natural peanut butter.  Be sure to use nothing with the sugar substitutes - those are not good for dogs. 

Blend together and pour into freezer trays (I use the silicone one so easy to get out).  They love it especially during summer. 

I've got a Blentec but assume they work about the same.  Also have and IP so can now make my own yogurt (after the holidaysWoman LOL).