Contributor

Re: PLEASE TELL: How Do You...

Did you try the Dasuqin meat flavored chews instead of the tablets?  Our little guy gobbles them up like a treat.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme  She sure does!  I was sending her toys every week and my daughter said, “Enough mom”.

But I also started reading about how they’re all made in China so now I’m on a quest to get American made toys....not easy!

Valued Contributor

Peanut butter has always worked for me even with a dog who took 10 pills a day. Let the dog lick the pill/peanut butter off your finger.  ( a pretty big blob with the pill hidden in the pb). Hold your finger so that the dog has to keep licking your finger. That way the pill is swallowed whole along with the peanut butter.  Most of the time, if a dog chews a pill they will spit it out.

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Thanx, @x Hedge !  Gonna try the liverwurst - is it sod at the deli?

It's in the refrigerated area where you see sliced lunch meats and cheeses.

By the way, it's great spread on toast, topped with sweet pickle relish.

This liverwurst or liver sausage is a spreadable, pasty texture, perfect for rolling between two hands into soft little balls.

But the liverwurst from the deli is harder. You can slice it. That texture slows them down because it's harder to swallow whole. Instead of gulping it  down, theyll work it around in their mouth, then spit the pill out and swallow the meat.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

Don't ask why, but about 30 years ago I washed a new dog squeaky toy and clamped it in my mouth. There was a bad burning sensation in my gums and tongue almost immediately.

The plastic had a neutral smell, and I'd never have suspected it would have that effect in the mouth. 

I immediately washed all my other dog toys and tested each one against my tongue. Some were the same and I threw those out.

But how to avoid buying more? I wasn't going to 'test' them in the store.

I hit upon the idea of buying squeaky toys made for babies/teething toddlers. No bad taste, no lead in the paint, no small choking sizes.

Fischer Price had some Bert and Ernie squeaky characters that became my dog's favorites.

Think I bought at least 5 Ernies.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mathgal wrote:

Did you try the Dasuqin meat flavored chews instead of the tablets?  Our little guy gobbles them up like a treat.

Yes, @Mathgal .  I have even chopped the chewies up and spread them over his kibble.  Then he won't eat his kibble!  These Cosequins are supposed to be flavored, but he won't eat them either.  Somehow he smells the med inside them and won't touch them.  He did eat one inside a mashed potato ball last nite!

Thanx!

Trusted Contributor

i use blue cheese to get my dodgs to take a pill.  but i put it  in a second peice of cheese.  then i give the dog a taste of the bluecheese and then the peice with the pill in it and followup with a thrid piece before they can spitit out.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge That's an excellent idea.  I'll start looking around to see what's out there (baby-wise) that might be able to withstand a dog.

Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

Our dog gets a chewable.  I toss it, and his other supplements, in with his kibble and he eats it right up.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme   The best thing I found for  getting pills down etc, is  using empty capsules.  

The largest  size is best...they are called 000 size empty capsules. I buy mine from Vitacost, but you can find them other places.  There is no smell...you can put the pill our whatever inside  if too big.. break it up and use more capsules...... and serve in a tablespoon of  favorite canned food ... They can not smell or taste the medicine in the tasteless capsule. It just slides down.

what I found worked really well was chicken liver....I microwaved it....cooled it and then ground it up with  a hit of chicken broth to make it like a paste.  My dogs got excited about pilltime!