Esteemed Contributor

...get your furbaby to take her/his joint supplement meds?

I've tried Dasaquin, Cosequin and another by Bayer (which I gave to my vet since Eddy wouldn't eat it!Woman Mad and her dog loves it!Woman LOL) and my boy will not eat.

Oh, he'll eat it wrapped in a slice of store-cooked deli ham or turkey, or hidden inside a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese.  I've tried chopping up the 'goodie' and he'll just walk away from his food.  

I would just like to hand him his med and he eats it without the theatrics!  Any ideas?

(P.S. Pill Pockets don't work.)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: PLEASE TELL: How Do You...

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme 

I guess any way you can get into him is better than not.  I have limited experience with dogs.  I just assumed they weren't fussy.

I buy the Dasaquin for my sister-in-laws Lab and he loves the peanut butter pill pockets.  Prior to that she just put it in his food.  I guess Labs will eat anything Cat LOL

For my kitty boy, I open the capsules and disolve in tuna juice from a can of water-packed white tuna.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme  It depends on the dog.  Some won't even take any meds without a real struggle so consider yourself lucky it's as easy as hiding it in something.

Contributor

All of my wonderful 4 legged rescues have had medical problems. Some quite severe and some mild. As I learned -- none liked medicine or injections, but a spoonful of peanut butter and a kiss worked every time . I know you would like your baby to take it on their own, but they know it's medicine , and they are just like our children and can get very stubborn .  Relax  and just don't make a fuss about their not taking it , and just "give in"  because it's  inevitable .

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme 

Don't fight it.

As long as he'll eat it wrapped in lunch meat or cheese, stick with that and be grateful you got it into him, that may be the best you're ever gonna get.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I give my dog Dasuquin, a digestive enzyme tablet and Welactin (fish oil caps).  I just put them on top of her dry food, and she eats them.  I've done this with many other dogs, and none have had a problem with eating them.  Many of my dogs have taken heart meds and other types of meds on top of their dry food, too.

I would suggest trying just putting it on top of his food.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

Eddy, as well as my Jade. a lab, before him will take apart pill pockets, emptying the contents then eating the pocket!!

Tuna salad or peanut butter will probably work.  Thanx, hadn't thought of that!

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook, Eddy came to me while on tons of meds - for months - and took them with no problem.  

Now, guess he know who's in charge - and it ain't me. I guessWoman LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

@gunnergab wrote:

All of my wonderful 4 legged rescues have had medical problems. Some quite severe and some mild. As I learned -- none liked medicine or injections, but a spoonful of peanut butter and a kiss worked every time . I know you would like your baby to take it on their own, but they know it's medicine , and they are just like our children and can get very stubborn .  Relax  and just don't make a fuss about their not taking it , and just "give in"  because it's  inevitable .

You are sooooo right, @gunnergab !