Honored Contributor

Re: PLEASE TELL: How Do You...

@eddyandme 

My neighbor had a dog that required daily meds and she had fantastic good luck with wrapping the pill in Liverwurst.  The local dollar store carries it, but regular grocery stores do, too.

Honored Contributor

@1920712 wrote:

@eddyandme  While reading a recent dog magazine, someone suggested using a miniature marshmallow to put the pill in. DH also used to put peanut butter on bread and dampen it with the pill inside. We lost out little poodle last week, but she absolutely loved the miniature marshmallows. I know that sweets are not good for dogs, but would try this if all else failed.

@1920712 

I'm so, so sorry you lost you lost your beloved poodle last week.

Your sweet girl is still with you and thanking you for the wonderful life you gave herHeart

LAST NIGHT

I stood by your bed last night; I came to have a peek.
I could see that you were crying, you found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly, as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour your coffee.
You were thinking of the many times your hand reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today; your arms were getting sore,
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today; you tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you; I smiled and said, "it's me."

You looked so very tired and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know that I was standing there.

It's possible for me to be so near you everday.
To tell you with such certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over....I smile and watch you yawning
and say, "good night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to meet you and we'll stand side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there's so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out....then come home to be with me.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Just putting it on food, even wrapped in sandwich meat doesn't work, @NickNack .  Believe it or not, he'll unwrap the med and eat everything else!

I feel your pain. We have gone through the same thing. Our dog must smell that there is something else added to his food. And he will not touch any of his food. He will even go a day or two not eating.

There have been many wonderful suggestions. And we have tried them. On occasion some will work - one time. Then we end up with a pound of liverwurst sitting in the refrigerator and he won't touch it.

But right now we have had luck with feeding him chicken livers. I think the smell of the chicken liver masks the smell of the pill. It is not to say tomorrow our dog will stop eating the chicken liver. And chicken liver can be smashed up.

Good luck. From one who has been outsmarted by the dog all to often.

Esteemed Contributor

I want to thank everyone for your suggestions.  

I've tried most with the exceptions of iverwurst and chicken livers which I have yet to try.  As @drizzellla  pointed out, sometimes something works, other times, not.

But, what you've all greatly helped me with - and I truly appreciate - is that I'm not alone.  I really figured I was a bad mama as I struggled to get Eddy to take his meds.  And, you've all restored my confidence, I'm a good mama to Eddy and we'll just take it one day at a time and see what works!

Thank you.Heart

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme:

I was thinking of you today. I tried to feed our collie breakfast. I put a broken up Cosequin tablet and NurtiThrive mixed in his food.

There is still a full dish of dog food. I cooked a hamburger, fresh chicken and chicken livers mixed in with his dog food. He took a few bites of hamburger but that was it. I know he is hungry because we cooked him a piece of scrapple. And he ate all the scrapple. Just not the dog food in his bowl.

Hope you are having better luck.

Respected Contributor

The one that works great with our Silkys is hot dogs....cut into "coins" and a little slot cut in the middle for the medication. First give them one or two "coins" to get the eater going then give the loaded coin. Gets gobbled right up....no problem.

Honored Contributor

I can tell you what we do to get our little dog to take his monthly Trifexis pill.  We either cook a little ground meat or grill a steak and smash the pill into a powder & mix it in.  It works like a champ!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

Try putting it in a bit of liverwurst. It worked for me.