Respected Contributor

PLEASE, SUGGESTIONS HOW TO TRANSPORT SENIOR DOG TO VET

This is my elderly parents Toy poodle, about 10 lbs.  He's 17 or 18 yrs old, and it's time to put him down.  They've been trying to keep him going as long as possible, but without going into details I can say, they're all suffering.  Today they called me crying, they know it's time.  My dad is 92, and I do not want him driving the dog nor do I think him or my mom can handle it.  So, I will be taking the dog at 11 am.

Big problem is, the dog has become very nasty, and bites... . he got my dad good, and the mobile groomer they use.  Since I dont have time to get a carrier and not sure if hell poop or pee on me, no less bite(very rotten teeth) I was thinking of using a plastic bin, with blankets.  I think I could keep him secure if I keep a hand on him, as of course I would not put a lid on. I'd keep it open and talk to him.  I first thought to wrap him and hold him, but doesn't like being touched anymore, so he bites.  Please give me suggestions soon.  Very sad situation, and concerned for my older parents. 

Contributor

Re: PLEASE, SUGGESTIONS HOW TO TRANSPORT SENIOR DOG TO VET

Could you ask the vet to come to their house? I have heard some vets will do this, I know some people have even asked horse vets to come and do this to dogs also. Can you maybe find a muzzle for him? If not maybe a harness and a collar, have someone pick him up by grabbing the harness while someone keeps his head from turning around to bite you with a leash on the collar, might work I dont know.

Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry about your parents' dog but am glad you are going to take care of this for them.  There are some vets who will come to your house to do this and then take it away.  I would look into that.  If not, it would be in your best interest to buy a little muzzle so his mouth will be restricted.  Good Luck. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry for your sad situation.  If it was I, I'd borrow a carrier from someone (driving with an ornery dog isn't a safe situation); you need a carrier.

Honored Contributor

Is there a Vet or service that will come to your parents's home? Many people have their pets euthanized at home.  Less stress for the owner and the pet. This is really common.

They will also take care of the pet afterwards per your wishes.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin , my sympathies to all concerned.

Think of anyone you know with a cat or dog who might have a pet carrier you could borrow in the morning.

If that fails, call the vet's office when they open and see if you can borrow from them. Or do they have other ideas.

The idea of risking a potential bite while you're driving is too dangerous to you.

Respected Contributor

@Darlingdino , I've used ANGELS AT THE END for my cat, and my lab, but unfortunately they retired.  My vet did say there's others that come to the house.  We called, and haven't heard back, so I really feel it's best I take him, and my parents dont see him being put down at home, and then they take him away after.  So that's out.  I have a harness for my Maltese, but believe me, theres NO WAY to handle this dog while getting a harness on.  Hopefully he'll be in an ok mood and let me pick him up, as sometimes he does...he really likes me.  Thanks!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin   I'm so sorry.  Please don't muzzle this poor dog.  My thinking is that he is in some pain and that's why he bites.  Dogs & cats don't have a way of telling you when they are in pain.  This could be why he bites.  I think your idea of the bin is good but is there no one to go with you?  Please be patient with the dog and try to make his last day be calm and loving.  I have had to do this many times and I could never muzzle the dog and make him miserable to go to die.  God bless you and your loving parents.

Respected Contributor

My husband is going to drive us.

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

My husband is going to drive us.

That's great.  Maybe you could sit in the back seat with the dog in the bin and talk to him and let him know he is loved.  Some of you may think I'm crazy but they understand love.  When I needed to do this I talked to my animal the whole way to the vet and while they were giving them the shot.