Esteemed Contributor

Re: PLEASE, SUGGESTIONS HOW TO TRANSPORT SENIOR DOG TO VET

@Dazlin , so sad.  I am sorry you have to go through this.  If you must transport him and are worried about biting, could you use some heavier gloves?  I wonder if you could get the vet to give you something to calm the dog during transport.  If the dog has a favorite blanket, use it.

The best answer is to have a vet come but it is hard to arrange on short notice.  Thinking of you.  LM

Honored Contributor

Luckily for us, our Vet is a mobile vet, but you can also ask your Vet for a 'doggie downer' (relaxing agent), that you can give him prior to taking him in, to relieve his anxiety.

So sorry that all of you are having to deal with this.

sad-face-with-tears-smiley-emoticon.gif

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure how far you are from the office, however they may be able to prescribe something that will make the transport more comfortable for all.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Thank you everyone!!   Today went extremely well!  I had absolutely no problems handling him.  My dad and I wrapped him in a blanket and I was able to hold him.  I brought a bin just in case, but he actually slept the entire time, picked up his head a couple times, but was pretty out of it.  My parents stayed home.  Went peaceful at the vet...sedation first, then the final.  He slept through it all.

They had candles set up in a dimly lit room for us.  Very kind and accommodating.  Very very sad, but hes not suffering anymore.   My mom told me today she honestly couldn't do another day with him.  He wasn't eating, had diarrhea all over, and bleeding from some cut he got, somehow.  He couldn't see well, so he was banging into everything.  Dad even put up a partician to keep him from wandering into the living room.   It was alot...over now..he had 17 great years!!  Thank you everyone!!

Just want to say again for those that didn't read my prior posts...we tried to have a vet come to house, and I also have used that alternative in the past twice.  I think it's great, not to make that dreaded drive, and best for the pet.  However they retired, and another one didn't return our call.  I feel better my parents didn't have to see it, and then see him taken away...so after all this, I knew it was best to get this done for everyone involved,  and take him to my Vet.  

Respected Contributor

He's at rest now.  Your parents don't have to fret that he may hurt or mess himself and fight them when they try to help him anymore.  A sad day to be sure but all's peaceful and calm at last.  I'll light a  candle and say a prayer for the little guy tonight.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   Just google local Mobil vet. I used Lap of Love last January 😢.  They take care of everything. So sorry for your parents 🙁

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin 

I am glad that all went well for you.

doxie