Respected Contributor

Re: PLEASE, SUGGESTIONS HOW TO TRANSPORT SENIOR DOG TO VET

@luvmybeetle wrote:

@Dazlin   I'm so sorry.  Please don't muzzle this poor dog.  My thinking is that he is in some pain and that's why he bites.  Dogs & cats don't have a way of telling you when they are in pain.  This could be why he bites.  I think your idea of the bin is good but is there no one to go with you?  Please be patient with the dog and try to make his last day be calm and loving.  I have had to do this many times and I could never muzzle the dog and make him miserable to go to die.  God bless you and your loving parents.

@luvmybeetle   I'm not going to muzzle him.  I agree old dogs are usually in some sort of pain, it's quite obvious on him, as he doesn't walk well.  I pray he stays calm and as comfortable as can be.  I hoping to lift him gently and place him the crate, or maybe his bed if I dont get a carrier.  

Respected Contributor

I would swaddle him in a blanket.  Swaddling is comforting to a distressed animal and will make it easier for you to hold on to him.  Having a few layers of fabric will protect his aching body and hopefully protect you.

Honored Contributor

Dear @Dazlin   I am so sorry.  This is such a difficult situation for everyone.  You are a wonderful daughter stepping in and finding a solution.  Everyone, including the dog, is suffering.  Maybe you could call the dog's vet and let them know the situation.  They might offer a solution. They might even have a carrier that you could borrow or suggest another action.  You are loving, kind, and calm...  my heart goes out to you and all that are suffering.

Honored Contributor

How about a laundry basket.  Is the doggie interested in food still?  Could try to coax him in with something he'd eat.  Put an old cloth or towel on the top, so he doesn't escape or yap at you.  You could secure it with a bungie cord or duct tape.  He can still see out the sides.

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Dear @Dazlin   I am so sorry.  This is such a difficult situation for everyone.  You are a wonderful daughter stepping in and finding a solution.  Everyone, including the dog, is suffering.  Maybe you could call the dog's vet and let them know the situation.  They might offer a solution. They might even have a carrier that you could borrow or suggest another action.  You are loving, kind, and calm...  my heart goes out to you and all that are suffering.

@phoenixbrd , I'm very touched by your kind reply...I'm only doing my best to protect and help my parents...I would do it for anyone that couldn't go through it.  I've been through this 3 times in 10 months 2 yrs ago with my cat, then my 2 dogs that got terminally sick within 8 weeks of each other...its so awful, I so hate this.  But I always say, it's what we sign up for when we have pets.

I now have my 15 yr old Maltese, and my Lab, Gabriel who turned 2 yrs today🥰...its worth all the joy they give us!

Thank you, and everyone here for your very kind replies. 

Honored Contributor

I know a couple of vets in my area that make house calls.  It's really quite common these days.  Two drive completely outfitted RVs.  Call a local vet and ask, or ask if he/she knows of a mobile vet.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

We had a vet come to our home for each of our dogs.  We were able to keep them calm, where they were loved and cared for, and able to hold them during the process.

It wasn't easy, but I much prefer doing it this way.  Easier on our dogs, on us, during a difficult time.

I'm sorry you are going through this.

Trusted Contributor

When it was time for us to put down our 2 dogs, we had a vet come to the house.  We were all around them and they weren't scared because they were in the comfort of their own home surrounded by their loved ones around  Many years ago I put down a dog at the vets office and it was very traumatic for me and the dog,  

I know there are mobile vets that will come to your home.  If you can arrange it, I think you'll be glad you did.

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin Please take care of yourself and your parents. It's so sad when our pets pass away, whether elder or not. 

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin - I'm so sorry what you've been through and what you're going through now. I agree with those who recommend findiing a mobile veterinarian. If your parents had a regular veterinarian you might want to check with him/her. That person might be able to help you out, if the practice allows it. I think it would be stressful for the dog to take him away. 

It might be too much for your parents to experience, so if you can find someone who will come out I hope you will wrap him in a blanket and hold him. They might want to be there or not. But at least the dog will know he is loved and he will be in a familiar place.

That sounds like the best solution to me. I'll be thinking of you.