Honored Contributor

PETS AND HURTICAINE

[ Edited ]

Please be sure your pets are wearing their collars w/ tags with identification and info so they can be returned to you if they need to be housed during the storms. Molly also had a chip put in as a puppy, but tags are faster, easier to read.

God bless our fur babies and keep them safe.

Shanus

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I'm not in hurticane areas.......but i had my dog chipped  when he was a puppy  for safety reasons.

At the time our  local dog shelter sponsered it at a discount price 12 years ago.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Respected Contributor

MICROCHIP!  Found pets are scanned as a matter of course at shelters these days. Keep the MC number and the company number with your important papers in your get away bag just in case you loose the phone they have as a contact number.  You can Call THEM.    If in a disaster area Collars can be snagged on debris.  Please consider break away collars.  Hope your furfriends neve need the percautions you take for their safety.

Esteemed Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

MICROCHIP!  Found pets are scanned as a matter of course at shelters these days. Keep the MC number and the company number with your important papers in your get away bag just in case you loose the phone they have as a contact number.  You can Call THEM.    If in a disaster area Collars can be snagged on debris.  Please consider break away collars.  Hope your furfriends neve need the percautions you take for their safety.

Exactly, collars can get snagged and prevent your pet from finding their way out of horrible situations.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Regular Contributor

I have also seen a recommendation to write the dog's name and your phone number on their stomach with a permanant marker. Collars can come off and the internet is required to get the contact information for the microchip. 

Honored Contributor

@Josmad wrote:

I have also seen a recommendation to write the dog's name and your phone number on their stomach with a permanant marker. Collars can come off and the internet is required to get the contact information for the microchip. 

@Josmad   What do you mean by the internet is required to get the contact information for the microchip?  A shelter or vet clinic will scan the pet and get the contact information.  It doesn't have to be written on the pet or on a tag, too. The microchip is all you need.

I do understand about writing their name on their stomach in case of a disaster, but it's not necessary for the microchip.  I'm probably not understanding what you're saying.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@ShanusUnless something new has come along the Microchip is only a number.  Once the chip is implanted the next step is for the owner to contact the company and register that number with that pets information.  Once the number is registered then it is in the companies Database.  When someone scans a MC the number pops up. Then they contact the company by internet or phone enter that number and  retrieve that animals information.  The chip itself does not contain alll the information. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: PETS AND HURTICAINE

[ Edited ]

Also, even if your pet is found and someone takes initiative to take your  lost pet to a Vet's office to be scanned for a chip  the info the company  that is on file with  the company you registered your pet with is only as good as you have keep  the info up to date. Say , you move  after having your pet from a pup or kitten mircochipped and say you did not  register on line to update the info .

Years ago in the 1970's ,  I had  my dog wander off  as he was a hunting dog and he did not return . Months and months went by , then close to a year latter  my dog came back with  a rope tied to his neck. Apparently, someone must have kept   him . Boy was I glade to see that  sweet  dog. 

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Also, even if your pet is found and someone takes initiative to take your  lost pet to a Vet's office to be scanned for a chip  the info the company  that is on file with  the company you registered your pet with is only as good as you have keep  the info up to date. Say , you move  after having your pet from a pup or kitten mircochipped and say you did not  register on line to update the info .

Years ago in the 1970's ,  I had  my dog wander off  as he was a hunting dog and he did not return . Months and months went by , then close to a year latter  my dog came back with  a rope tied to his neck. Apparently, someone must have kept   him . Boy was I glade to see that  sweet  dog. 

@skatting44   Whether or not the dog has a chip, it can still be stolen and not returned. Only good samaritans would check to see if there’s a chip/info available.  

Esteemed Contributor

Correct. My most recent pets  both have chips   and I have an electric  fence . I never let either of them  take off  to hunt on their  own . It would break my heart to have either of them  be missing .